Creating bootable IFL partition

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Bob Coleman

Creating bootable IFL partition

Post by Bob Coleman »

Some time ago at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3471&p=18926&hilit=copy+IFL#p18926 , the following was written

"Create an IFL UFD. Use any TeraByte app to copy the IFL partition to Free Space on the internal disk. Resize the copied partition to 100 to 150 MB.
Create a Boot Item in BootIt".

as advice for how to get a bootable IFL partitiion on a hard disk. It's good advice and it works. However, at least for the current IFL, it seems to be necessary to have 14998 MB of free space to copy to if copying with Partition Work. It took me quite a while to figure out why with Copy Pending for the UFD, Paste would not be active on the 150 MB to which I wanted to copy. I'm pretty sure essentially the same situation existed for the previous version of IFL. I don't remember encountering this situation at the time the above advice was given, but I might just have not tried exactly the same thing I tried this time.

Interestingly, IFW can copy the IFL UFD to the pre-existing 150 MB IFL partition though that changes the partition size from 150 to 141 MB.
Brian K

Re: Creating bootable IFL partition

Post by Brian K »

Bob,

Nothing has changed. Partition Work Copy/Paste copies a partition to Free Space. The Free Space has to be the same size or larger than the source partition. It looks like your UFD partition is 16 GB.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Brian K wrote:

> It looks like your UFD partition is 16 GB.

It is a 16 GB UFD. Apparently MAKEDISK allocates the whole thing.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

You don't necessarily have to copy the UFD partition to the HD each time a new IFL version is released. You can use TeraByte Explorer to copy the UFD files and folders to the HD partition.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

What/where is Terabyte Explorer?
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Eric's reply is a good summary...

viewtopic.php?t=3107
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Brian K wrote:
> Eric's reply is a good summary...
>
> viewtopic.php?t=3107

Hmm, I see that I was even part of that thread!

I'll have to either do some reading and experimenting or continue to copy the partition (which I can do reasonably conveniently with IFW).

Thanks for pointing out the additional option though.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Brian K wrote:
> You don't necessarily have to copy the UFD partition to the HD each time a
> new IFL version is released. You can use TeraByte Explorer to copy the UFD
> files and folders to the HD partition.

Another good suggestion. Terabyte Explorer takes some getting used to, but it works. Thanks.