BootIt UEFI Restoring IFW Partions

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
kmac

BootIt UEFI Restoring IFW Partions

Post by kmac »

Hi,
Long time user of BIBM and BootIt UEFI.

Here is what I'm trying to do but can't figure out.

My existing Samsung Evo 850 500gb Sata SSD drive has 5 partitions that all work. I need more space in my main Windows Working Partion though.
So I bought a Samsung Evo+ 970 1TB NVME.

I have backed up all of these partitions to an external USB Drive via Image for Windows.

I installed the NVME drive in my Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 Motherboard m2 slot. I pulled the power off of my original drive to not mess it up.

I booted to a BootIt Uefi USB Stick. Installed Bootit UEFI on the new drive. Reboot machine and load into BootIT Gui.

I hook up my USB Drive with my backed up partitions and copy 1 of the partions to the NVME drive via BootIT Uefi Drive Image to see if I can get working.

I create a Boot edit item. But I'm stumped. I try different things. Then I go back to my working drive and see how it was configured.

Where it asks for "Boot", I put in "EFI System".

Where it asks for "Boot File", I've tried to figure out where how to get a "Microsoft.xxx... bootmgfw.efi" file in but cant.
I browse, I try to put nothing in. Nothing works. I see that on my working SSD that each item has it's own "Microsoft.xxx"...bootmgfw.efi". But I don't know how to add a new one for this new clean drives copied over partition.

Does anyone know what I could do to put in the right "Boot File" entry here?

Thanks a lot
Kmac
kmac

Re: BootIt UEFI Restoring IFW Partions

Post by kmac »

Okay, after reading around some more I figured I needed to run the fixboot script. Realized it was right on the boot edit menu under scripts.

So I ran it. I tried both the minimum and the full configuration option it gave under the "Repair Boot Configuration in partition (EFI System) folder Microsoft.001".

Now I am able to select the Microsoft.001 file in the efi path. Cleared out the script, backed out to the partition selection. Clicked on my partition and Windows started booting.

But, after the circle thing going around for a while it crashed. "Your device ran into a problem and needs to restart. Error was Stop Code: Inaccessible Boot Device".

Keeps doing this.

Any ideas?
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

kmac,

Do you have an ESP on each drive? BIU installed on each drive?

See..... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3565
kmac

Post by kmac »

Thanks for reply Brian K.

I copied all the original partitions from my Sata SSD to the USB external drive via Image for Windows. The Sata SSD has BIU with ESP, but I have disconnected the power and sata connector on it and currently only have the NVME drive with BIU and ESP connected. So, the system is only seeing 1 ESP.

I've transferred all my partitions from the USB drive to the NVME and then disconnected the USB drive. I've run fixboot on all of the partition boot items. Put in the proper bootmgwr.efi file and paths on each. But each time I try to boot any of them, they go to the blue windows logo and the moving circle, but after a while, they crash to the "Inaccessible boot drive" stop code.

I feel like I'm getting close to getting them working. Must be a setting somewhere I'm missing.
kmac

Post by kmac »

What should my uefi/bios settings be for the following:
Boot Option Priorities
Boot Option #1 -

My choices are:
- BootIt UEFI(970 Evo)
- UEFI OS (970 Evo)
- Windows Boot Manager(970 Evo)
- Samsung SSD 970 Evo

Also for:
Storage Boot Option Control
My choices are:
-UEFI
-Legacy

I've been trying mostly with
- Booit UEFI and
- UEFI

But not making progress yet.

Thanks
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

kmac,

I'm trying to understand what you have done. In your first post you said "I have backed up all of these partitions to an external USB Drive". In a subsequent post you said "I copied all the original partitions from my Sata SSD to the USB external drive".

So did you create backup images on the external drive or did you copy the partitions?
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Try this. Boot IFL media... (or TBWinRE/PE)

OSDTool
Physical Drive
choose Win10
Install drivers
Install default NVM Express Controller

Does that enable Win10 to boot?
kmac

Post by kmac »

Thanks for the reply Brian,
I'm sorry for the confusion. I used IFW on a working Windows 10 Partition on the original SATA SSD that I had booted up. I backed up the partitions to the USB Drive with IFW.

But at this point I have made progress hunting through the forum and trying many different things. Messing with BIOS/UEFI settings etc.

Before I try your 3:22pm reply, let me tell you what I have.

I have 5 partitions working somehow. So I'm making progress.

However, what I'm currently experiencing is this:
I boot each partition(they are all Windows 10), letting Windows 10 load fully. Shut it down. Machine reboots.
When it reboots, it just boots back into the same Windows Partition that was just loaded and shutdown. It bypasses BootIt UEFI.
When I look at the Gigabyte BIOS/UEFI, something is changing my "Boot Option#1" to "Windows Boot Manager" from "BootIt UEFI".
I go in and change it manually back to "BootIt UEFI" and restart. BootIt UEFI will start. But, as soon as I load any partition, my BIOS/UEFI is getting changed back to "Windows Boot Manager" and I have to manually change it back to "BootIt UEFI" again.

I've rerun fixboot on all the partitions. And tried again. But same behavior. I've even tried password protecting my BIOS/UEFI, but that had no effect.

Hopefully something simple at this point.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

kmac,

Nice work.

Try this. In BIU Settings, put a tick in Auto Reactivate

In your BIOS Firmware, Boot Option Priorities, disable everything except BootIt UEFI. The others aren't needed but unfortunately they might come back.
kmac

Post by kmac »

- Tried Auto Reactivate 1st by itself. No help.
- Tried disabling all other boot options except for BootIt UEFI. No help.
- You were right, it added back "Windows Boot Manager" to 1st option. Moved "BootIt UEFI" to option 2.

Noticed whenever I reboot from inside of BIU, it will reboot back to BIU. But every time I load a windows partition, it reboots back to that Windows partition and changes the BIOS to "Windows Boot Manager"