Copying an nvme drive to 2.5 ssd

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
donmurphy

Copying an nvme drive to 2.5 ssd

Post by donmurphy »

Using bootit eufi (boot from usb stick - partition work > Copy) to copy entire 250GB nvme drive to second 2.5" ssd drive and booting with that 2.5 drive in the system without removing the nvme drive.

Lenovo ideapad laptop with both nvme and ssd slots.

Concern would be having windows come up and have trouble differentiating the two files systems.

Using windows 10

Tia,

Don
donmurphy

Re: Copying an nvme drive to 2.5 ssd

Post by donmurphy »

Ahh it appears that disk Disk Imaging > copy has an option at the end called "change disk and guids". If i select this option when creating image, is it safe to boot the destination drive with the source drive attatched and vice versa?

Is that all that is required? What about "change volume sn"?
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Don,

What partitions do you have on the NVMe disk?

It's not a good idea to copy the entire NVMe disk as that will give you 2 ESP in your computer. This can be an issue especially if you want to install further Microsoft OS. If you want to boot two Win10 you only need to copy the Win 10 partition but knowing what partitions are on the NVMe disk will help.
donmurphy

Post by donmurphy »

There are many partitions on this drive, lol

Lenovo IdeaPad 700 (1 nvme slot and one 2.5 ssd slot)

- The nvme drive is strictly for c: and some program Files
- The SSD drive I use as data drive (Manually changed drive letter of MyDocuments)
- running Windows 10, with Le

nvme Partitions (order presented by bootit uefi)
P1 System_drv 260 MB
P2 Microsoft reserved partition 16 MB
P3 Windows 201461 MB
P4 Lenovo 25600 MB
P5 WINRE_Drv 1000 MB
P6 LENOVO _PART 14860
LRS_ESP 1000 MB

My imaging process so far is:
1) disable fasttboot from Windows (still see error message in Boootit uefi - I understand this issue, there is no bios flag to tweak for me)
2) scandisk /f c:
3) Copy drive with bootit uefi, nvme drive to 2 GB kingston 2.5" ssd (with bootit uefi using option at the end called "change disk and guids")
4) restart lenovo with special NOVO Button to allow me to select 2.5 " boot device
5) restart the system and hopefully boot from 2.5 " drive.

Is this the correct process to image the nvme drive to the 2.5 ssd and leave them both in the same system to boot from the 2.5?
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Don,

BIU will handle the fine details. Create enough Free Space on your SSD for the copied Win10.
In BIU, select the Win10 partition on your NVMe and click Copy. Select the Free Space on your SSD and click Paste. Give it a name. Make sure you put a tick in Add to Boot Menu.

When completed, check each Boot Item in Boot Edit and make sure the non booting Win10 in each Boot Item is "Hidden".

Done. So easy.