Bootit UEFI issues

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
mosslack

Bootit UEFI issues

Post by mosslack »

Afternoon everyone. System is a Dell Optiplex 7020 with 16 Gb of RAM. When i got the system it had a single 500 Gb internal hard drive on which I setup MX Linux 19. Worked fine using UEFI. Later got another hard drive internal caddy and installed a 2nd 500 Gb hard drive. Installed Windows 10 on this one, also booting via UEFI. The MX Linux drive was the default (drive 0), but using the F12 at startup I could boot into Windows 10 when desired. All was well with the world. :)

Next I added an external slide in hot swap caddy in the bay under the DVD drive so I could do some experimenting. Came across some talk about Bootit and remembered it from days past. Quickly read up on the latest version and decided to give it a whirl. Installed it on a flash drive and rebooted into it. I wanted to install it onto the 1 Tb hard drive I had inserted into the hot swap caddy, but could not figure out how to do that and finally just let it decide there to install itself.

On the reboot after that it came up with a single entry in the menu, Windows 10. Boot into that as a test, worked fine. Rebooted to try and setup MX Linux, but I cannot get it setup in the boot menu. Keep saying it can't find the boot file. So I used the F12 menu on a restart and sure enough it boots into MX Linux just fine from there. I can also use the direct boot within Bootit to boot into MX Linux.

I'm pretty sure when Bootit UEFI installed itself, it did so on drive 0, which is the MX Linux drive. I'm sure that is part of the problem but being as I can direct boot into MX Linux, shouldn't I be able to setup a menu option for that OS?

I know I can just reinstall MX Linux, but I have it setup like I want it and should be able to use that I think. Any help appreciated. :)
mosslack

Re: Bootit UEFI issues

Post by mosslack »

Never mind. I figured it out. I thought all along that was drive 0, but it was on drive 2 instead. Works fine now. :)
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

mosslack wrote:
> Never mind. I figured it out. I thought all along that was drive 0, but it
> was on drive 2 instead. Works fine now. :)

mosslack,

In the Boot Item for MX Linux, what is in the "Boot File" field? What is in the "Boot" field? I assume "HD" is 2.
mosslack

Post by mosslack »

Boot file is \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI and boot is ESP. Yes it was on drive 2.
For my next trick I would like to get both Windows 10 and MX Linux booting from the same hard drive. Got Windows 10 working, but when I try to add MX Linux it doesn't work. Goes to a grub rescue prompt. :(
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

mosslack wrote:
>
> For my next trick I would like to get both Windows 10 and MX Linux booting
> from the same hard drive. Got Windows 10 working, but when I try to add MX
> Linux it doesn't work. Goes to a grub rescue prompt. :(

Do you now have two Linux partitions?
What partitions do you have on each of the 3 drives?

Use tbexplo.tbs in BIU (Run icon). Do you have a
C:\EFI\MX19
folder?
I have that folder for my MX Linux install. Actually, mine is MX19.001. It contains one file, grubx64.efi.