Upgrade from HD MBR to SSD UEFI W10 + W7

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Andrew

Upgrade from HD MBR to SSD UEFI W10 + W7

Post by Andrew »

Hello.

I need an advice for migrating OSes and Data on HD (MBR) to SSD (GPT).

I've got a HP Notebook with BIOS that includes UEFI and Legacy support. Actually I'm using the Legacy (MBR) option with a HD and W7, W10 and BIBM installed.

My HD is divided into 4 primary partitions (one for BIBM) and one extended one with several logical partitions (included Data and W7 and W10 Program partitions).

I'd like now to migrate my existing disk and all OSes from MBR to GPT on a new SSD.

My Notebook has a built in esata port that should facilitate the migration from HD to SSD. In addition there's an optical drive built in.

I've already purchased the BootIt Collection and burnt one BootIt UEFI bootable CD and another bootable CD with Image for Windows (Winpe).

Now, I'd appreciate much to get an advice how to proceed optimally the migration.

Many thanks in advance.
CyberSimian

Re: Upgrade from HD MBR to SSD UEFI W10 + W7

Post by CyberSimian »

If I have understood your post correctly, you want to replace a 2.5 inch SATA HDD with a 2.5 inch SATA SSD (i.e. the SSD is NOT an M.2 NVME SSD). If the SSD is 2 TB or less in size, you don't need to use GPT and UEFI. You can instead use MBR with legacy booting, i.e. use BIBM instead of BIU.

I think that there is an option to clone the entire HDD to the SSD, with (I think) automatic resizing of partitions. However, I have never done that. In the past I have always performed a fresh install of BIBM and then copied partitions one-by-one, and resized each partition as required after copying it.

If the SSD is larger than 2 TB, you need to use a GPT in order to access all of the disk. If you used an MBR, you would be able to access only the first 2 TB of it. I have never used BIU, so cannot help you with that.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK