BIU & EMBR

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
skipro

BIU & EMBR

Post by skipro »

Does BIU use EMBR or GPT?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: BIU & EMBR

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Not sure exactly what you mean by use, but BIU supports both types (as well as MBR) for managing, boot items, etc. However, BIU will only boot UEFI and would be installed to a GPT drive.
skipro

Post by skipro »

BIBM used EMBR on a MBR system to allow enhancements. I assume that converting to EMBR is not done with an UEFI/GPT system because, I am guessing, it would not enhance or add value to GPT and, another guess, it might break it .

What would happen if you converted a GPT/UEFI system to EMBR?
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

skipro wrote:
> BIBM used EMBR on a MBR system to allow enhancements. I assume that
> converting to EMBR is not done with an UEFI/GPT system because, I am
> guessing, it would not enhance or add value to GPT and, another guess, it
> might break it .
>
> What would happen if you converted a GPT/UEFI system to EMBR?

It can be done. I've done it and BIBM works fine.
skipro

Post by skipro »

Are you saying a UEFI system of booting works on EMBR and does not require A GPT file system? I thought UEFI requires GPT to boot.
If so, other than the 4 primary partition limit and utilizing bigger HDs, what are the advantages or disadvantages of using EMBR vs GPT. It seems all new systems use GPT.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

I was just trying to answer the question "What would happen if you converted a GPT/UEFI system to EMBR?".

The BIOS has to be set to allow legacy booting, compatibility mode, or something along those lines. If, and only if, that's the case, booting can be from a (E)MBR disk. BIBM can then be booted and used. I imagine a Windows system could also be booted without the involvement of any boot manager.

"If so, other than the 4 primary partition limit and utilizing bigger HDs, what are the advantages or disadvantages of using EMBR vs GPT. It seems all new systems use GPT."

Good question. I think there is supposed to be some sort of added security, but I don't really understand that.

I'm not recommending converting a GPT based system to (E)MBR unless BIU doesn't work properly which seemed to be the case on my system, probably due to shortcomings in the UEFI firmware, but I don't really know that.

There are old threads covering in detail my trials and tribulations both in trying to get BIU working properly and and in converting from GPT to EMBR. The first was ultimately not successful. The second was.