Uninstalling Bootitbm

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
computrdummy

Re: Uninstalling Bootitbm

Post by computrdummy »

I am now thinking I am stuck with BIBM forever. I would really appreciate clear steps on how to get rid of it and maintain booting directly from the win8.1 partition. If I can get that to boot I don't care about the win 7 partition because it has no usb 3.0 support except for BIBM enabling the mouse on that port. But I cannot fly with win 8.1 if BIBM has done something to corrupt the windows boot process such that 8.1 cannot be booted without BIBM installed. I have no use for BIBM except for partition management and even then I have another program for that.

When I follow the TB and Bob's additional instructions to uninstall the program(set partitions for win7 standard), and I try to boot, I get:

"the partition does not contain an OS. Insert the installation diskette into Drive A. press any key to run the bios bootstrap loader" So I guess BIBM took away windows ability to boot on it's own without BIBM installed.

Pressing any key just gets u the same message over and over-no explaination.

With bibm installed, and using direct boot menu I have two operational OS's 7 and 8.1 but I must go through the additional boot menu from windows to select either one.

Apparently BIBM will not let me uninstall and be able to still boot directly from the 8.1 windows boot menu, I am stuck with a wasted primary partition embr that I don't need or want. If this is not an unclean uninstall using the procedures you gave, I don't know what is?

It was necessary to reinstall BIBM to get both OS's to boot in two steps:first the BIBM direct boot menu and then the windows boot menu appears and I choose either win7 or win8.1)

Again EMBR must be present for usb 3.0 port to use the logitech mouse. But I have 8.1 working now so no problem sacrificing win7 since no usb 3.0 support. I just want 8.1 to boot without BOOITBM.

If I delete the win7 partition will the win8.1 partition still boot? OR has BIBM disabled that as well?

To reply to Bob. The way TB explains it is that windows changes the OS each time it comes out of hibernation resulting in data corruption. Warnings all over the place to disable fast start up (hibernation). Hibernation is required for the long life of a laptop. It's not something u can just get rid of without consequences.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

computrdummy wrote:

> To reply to Bob. The way TB explains it is that windows changes the OS each
> time it comes out of hibernation resulting in data corruption. Warnings all
> over the place to disable fast start up (hibernation). Hibernation is
> required for the long life of a laptop. It's not something u can just get
> rid of without consequences.

Windows doesn't change the OS unless you choose to boot a different OS. If you do that, it's your choice, not BIBM's fault.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

computrdummy wrote:
> "the partition does not contain an OS. Insert the installation
> diskette into Drive A. press any key to run the bios bootstrap loader"

If you're getting that message and you're selecting the Windows 8.1 partition, you will need to set the boot sector code (instructions below).

> With bibm installed, and using direct boot menu I have two operational
> OS's 7 and 8.1 but I must go through the additional boot menu from windows
> to select either one.

This is because the Windows 8.1 booting files were installed to the Windows 7 booting partition.

If you uninstall BIBM and set the Windows 7 partition (or whichever partition you're selecting from the Direct Boot menu) active then you should get the Windows boot menu when you boot the system and be able to select Windows 7 or 8.1.

> If I delete the win7 partition will the win8.1 partition still boot? OR has
> BIBM disabled that as well?

BIBM has disabled nothing. From what you've said, the Windows 8.1 booting files are on the Windows 7 partition. As a result, if you delete the Windows 7 partition, Windows 8.1 won't boot. This has nothing to do with BIBM and happens in normal Windows installations when the installer sees another Windows installation.

---

To get Windows 8.1 booting from its own partition you will need to do the following:

1. Boot into Windows 8.1.

2. Fix the boot sector code by opening an administrator Command Prompt and running the following command:
bootsect /nt60 c:

I'm assuming C: is the Windows partition letter. If it's different then use the correct letter. Note that you may see an "Access is denied" message in the output. You can ignore that as long as it also reports that it successfully updated the volume.

3. Boot into BIBM (installed or from UFD). This should be the current version of BIBM.

4. Go into Partition Work, select the drive with Windows 8.1, click the "View MBR" button. Set the Windows 8.1 partition active and apply the change.

5. Run the "fixboot" script by using the "Run" icon on the desktop (lower-left) and then selecting the "fixboot" script. Click "OK" to run it.

6. The script should show a list of the Windows installations. Select the 8.1 installation.

7. You will be asked to confirm the selection. The windows version is shown to verify.

8. Select the "Setup a Boot Configuration in partition" option. This will add the booting files to the Windows 8.1 partition.

9. After it's finished and the boot options menu appears, select the "Exit" option to exit the script.

10. At this point you should be able to use the Direct Boot menu from BIBM to boot directly into Windows 8.1. Or, if BIBM is not installed, the system should boot directly to Windows 8.1. In either case, you shouldn't see the Windows boot menu.

11. Uninstall BIBM (if still installed).

12. Remove Windows 7 partition, if desired and Windows 8.1 is booting properly from its own partition.

----

If the above doesn't work, please report back with any errors and which step(s). The booting files can be moved manually from the Windows 7 partition, if necessary.
computrdummy

Post by computrdummy »

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:
> computrdummy wrote:
> > "the partition does not contain an OS. Insert the installation
> > diskette into Drive A. press any key to run the bios bootstrap loader"
>
> If you're getting that message and you're selecting the Windows 8.1 partition, you
> will need to set the boot sector code (instructions below).

Yes, ur correct more below:
>
> > With bibm installed, and using direct boot menu I have two operational
> > OS's 7 and 8.1 but I must go through the additional boot menu from windows
> > to select either one.
>
> This is because the Windows 8.1 booting files were installed to the Windows 7 booting
> partition.
>
> If you uninstall BIBM and set the Windows 7 partition (or whichever partition you're
> selecting from the Direct Boot menu) active then you should get the Windows boot menu
> when you boot the system and be able to select Windows 7 or 8.1.

I get the boot menu with both win7 and 8.1 showing, win7 being active. I cannot boot to win8.1 as I get the error message no os installed when I choose that in the direct boot menu. From memory I don't think it mattered whether or not I set 8.1 to active instead of win7. I have to access win 8.1 from the direct boot windows 7 entry or I will not get the windows menu offering a choice between the two. I only get no OS installed.

>
> > If I delete the win7 partition will the win8.1 partition still boot? OR has
> > BIBM disabled that as well?
>
> BIBM has disabled nothing. From what you've said, the Windows 8.1 booting files are
> on the Windows 7 partition. As a result, if you delete the Windows 7 partition,
> Windows 8.1 won't boot. This has nothing to do with BIBM and happens in normal
> Windows installations when the installer sees another Windows installation.

Ok, the procedure you give below is different than the article I read today from TB knowledge base:

https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=556

In that article it says I must run the bootsect command from an already booted OTHER OS, in my case the working WIn7 partition, since you say that's where the boot loader is located. It also says that I need to run it from a DVD so I am assuming usb with the bootsect on it will work? I will have to do this with BIBM installed because that's the only way I can have mouse working at the usb 3.0 port under win7.

>
> ---
>
> To get Windows 8.1 booting from its own partition you will need to do the following:
>
> 1. Boot into Windows 8.1.
>
> 2. Fix the boot sector code by opening an administrator Command Prompt and running
> the following command:
> bootsect /nt60 c:

This differs from the TB article url above which says it must be run from an OS other than 8.1, in my case win7??

The article above says: D:\boot\bootsect /nt60 F: where D: is the dvd or in my case the USB drive with bootsec.exe on it-copied to the usb from the 8.1 win/sys32 folder and F: is the partition with win 8.1 on it, depending on what letter has been assigned to that.

>
> I'm assuming C: is the Windows partition letter. If it's different then use the
> correct letter. Note that you may see an "Access is denied" message in the
> output. You can ignore that as long as it also reports that it successfully updated
> the volume.
>
> 3. Boot into BIBM (installed or from UFD). This should be the current version of
> BIBM.
>
> 4. Go into Partition Work, select the drive with Windows 8.1, click the "View
> MBR" button. Set the Windows 8.1 partition active and apply the change.

ok.

>
> 5. Run the "fixboot" script by using the "Run" icon on the
> desktop (lower-left) and then selecting the "fixboot" script. Click
> "OK" to run it.

no mention of fixboot in the TB article on how to do this (url above). Is that fixboot from the BIBM install usb under partition work or where is that loaded from? Or is that fixboot from the 8.1 booted OS?

>
> 6. The script should show a list of the Windows installations. Select the 8.1
> installation.
>
> 7. You will be asked to confirm the selection. The windows version is shown to
> verify.
>
> 8. Select the "Setup a Boot Configuration in partition" option. This will
> add the booting files to the Windows 8.1 partition.

Again is "setup a boot configuration"... found under partition work from the BIBM usb? Please be exact and explicit in your directions.

>
> 9. After it's finished and the boot options menu appears, select the "Exit"
> option to exit the script.
>
> 10. At this point you should be able to use the Direct Boot menu from BIBM to boot
> directly into Windows 8.1. Or, if BIBM is not installed, the system should boot
> directly to Windows 8.1. In either case, you shouldn't see the Windows boot menu.

So ur saying I can then boot directly from 8.1 with or without BIBM installed on the HD?

>
> 11. Uninstall BIBM (if still installed).
>
> 12. Remove Windows 7 partition, if desired and Windows 8.1 is booting properly from
> its own partition.

no 12 is my desired outcome. But the article from TB differs from your instructions, so which to follow? And why? would be a good thing to know.

>
> ----
>
> If the above doesn't work, please report back with any errors and which step(s). The
> booting files can be moved manually from the Windows 7 partition, if necessary.

Yes I will report back. I hope your solution works.

as an Aside the other responders to my posts kept insisting there is no usb 3.0 support from the embr or BIBM installed when I showed them the mouse works under win7 only if embr is installed. From the BIBM manual I quote: (p13)"When booting a computer using the BootIt BM setup media, be aware that allsettings except the video mode/method and mouse support come from the installed copy of BootIt BM if it’s installed. "
TeraByte Support(PP)

computrdummy wrote:
> Ok, the procedure you give below is different than the article I read today from TB
> knowledge base:
>
> https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=556
>
> In that article it says I must run the bootsect command from an already booted OTHER
> OS, in my case the working WIn7 partition, since you say that's where the boot loader
> is located. It also says that I need to run it from a DVD so I am assuming usb with
> the bootsect on it will work? I will have to do this with BIBM installed because
> that's the only way I can have mouse working at the usb 3.0 port under win7.

What you're trying to do is update the boot sector code of the Windows 8.1 partition. You can do it from another Windows OS or boot media if desired (note that the drive letter would not be C: in those cases). I would try it from Windows 8.1 first and see if that works. It's easier and you can still do it the other way if necessary. In the article, it is noted that even with that error message shown the change can still be written correctly.

> The article above says: D:\boot\bootsect /nt60 F: where D: is the dvd or in my case
> the USB drive with bootsec.exe on it-copied to the usb from the 8.1 win/sys32 folder
> and F: is the partition with win 8.1 on it, depending on what letter has been
> assigned to that.

You would use the appropriate drive letters for your system and the method you're using. When running it from the booted system (Windows 8.1 here) the program is in the path and no drive letter needs to be specified for bootsect.exe. There's nothing wrong with doing it from your Windows 7 installation -- just use the correct drive letters. For example, if your flash drive is U: and the bootsect.exe file is in the root folder and the Windows 8.1 partition is J:, you would use: U:\bootsect /nt60 J:

> no mention of fixboot in the TB article on how to do this (url above). Is that
> fixboot from the BIBM install usb under partition work or where is that loaded from?
> Or is that fixboot from the 8.1 booted OS?

The KB article deals with repairing the boot sector code not the Windows booting files. The fixboot script is included with BIBM. You can run it from the BIBM installation or from the BIBM flash drive after booting to it.

> Again is "setup a boot configuration"... found under partition work from
> the BIBM usb? Please be exact and explicit in your directions.

This is a step when running the fixboot script. The instructions are already listed. You run the script in step 5 and exit the script in step 9.

> > 10. At this point you should be able to use the Direct Boot menu from BIBM to
> boot
> > directly into Windows 8.1. Or, if BIBM is not installed, the system should boot
> > directly to Windows 8.1. In either case, you shouldn't see the Windows boot
> menu.
>
> So ur saying I can then boot directly from 8.1 with or without BIBM installed on the
> HD?

Correct. Once the boot sector is updated and the booting files are on the Windows 8.1 partition it should boot either way.

> > 12. Remove Windows 7 partition, if desired and Windows 8.1 is booting properly
> from
> > its own partition.
>
> no 12 is my desired outcome. But the article from TB differs from your instructions,
> so which to follow? And why? would be a good thing to know.

The instructions I've provided are for your specific situation and may not be exactly the same as those in a KB article. Regarding removing the Windows 7 partition, that would only be after you've confirmed everything is working correctly with booting the Windows 8.1 partition directly.

> as an Aside the other responders to my posts kept insisting there is no usb 3.0
> support from the embr or BIBM installed when I showed them the mouse works under win7
> only if embr is installed. From the BIBM manual I quote: (p13)"When booting a
> computer using the BootIt BM setup media, be aware that allsettings except the video
> mode/method and mouse support come from the installed copy of BootIt BM if it’s
> installed. "

That's a different situation. When you boot the BIBM media it will use the settings of the BIBM installation except for the video and mouse support options (those would be used as configured in the BIBM boot media). For example, if the BIBM installation uses a video resolution of 800x600 and the BIBM boot media uses 1024x768, the boot media will use 1024x768 and not the setting configured for the BIBM installation (800x600). If the BIBM installation is configured to use the mouse and the BIBM boot media is configured not to use the mouse, the mouse won't be used when booted to the boot media.
computrdummy

Post by computrdummy »

thx for the reply.

Ok first you said:

> 5. Run the "fixboot" script by using the "Run" icon on the
> desktop (lower-left) and then selecting the "fixboot" script. Click
> "OK" to run it.

>>no mention of fixboot in the TB article on how to do this (url above). Is that fixboot from the BIBM install usb under partition work or where is that loaded from? Or is that fixboot from the 8.1 booted OS?

"Run from the desktop" is part of windows.

But later you say:
>"The KB article deals with repairing the boot sector code not the Windows booting files. The fixboot script is included with BIBM. You can run it from the BIBM installation or from the BIBM flash drive after booting to it."

So I ask again is fixboot loaded from windows or is it loaded from bibm partition work or where?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Can you confirm which version of BIBM you're using (full or trial)?
computrdummy

Post by computrdummy »

Sorry late reply, full version, from memory 2.97. Why?
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

computrdummy wrote:
> Sorry late reply, full version, from memory 2.97. Why?

Can you check your BIBM version as 2.97 doesn't exist.

Fixboot isn't present in the trial version.
computrdummy

Post by computrdummy »

I will have to wait till my next reboot, but I'm pretty sure it's 2.97. It was on the laptop when I bought it second hand. Still does not answer my last question? Where does fixboot normally load from? Is that part of the maintenance menu or what?