Cannot install two versions of windows on same system

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
computrdummy

Cannot install two versions of windows on same system

Post by computrdummy »

Bootitbm does not allow install of win7 and win8.1 (on separate partitions).

First error is: "cannot install win8.1 on that (ntfs) partition-partition type not recognized. When I try a second time, os installs and boots but THEN the direct boot menu under BIBM disappears.

then using the BOOTIBM install usb I am asked to "reactivate" bootitbm. I do so then on reboot the system checks every partition for inconsistencies. Using direct boot I try to boot the new 8.1 (after it successfully booted without bibm's help I get system repair repairing c:. I stop this by reboot and thankfully I am still able to get win7 back on the other partition.

There is nothing in the manual that I saw about this. You cannot have two windows systems on separate partitions it wont work.

I tried "hiding" the win7 and then win8.1 tells me it's going to screw with the c: partition in order to "repair it".

Just about had it with this program. If I get things sorted out, unlikely, I will find a better program. Looks like I will have to just delete the 8.1 ntfs partition and HOPE that I still have win7 on the other partition.

Also I could find no option to disable fast boot under partition work under properties or any where else.

When I first installed 8.1 I tried booting from the empty partition and got the "no os" message and insterted the install usb. Installation went ok after the first time when it said the ntfs partition for 8.1 was not recognized as a normal partition.

Read the manual over and over and search the Knowledge base. Nothing about this. Conclusion: cannot run win8.1 and win7 on the same system using bootitbm.