Long time since I installed BIBM so want to be sure...

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Bob Coleman

Re: Long time since I installed BIBM so want to be sure...

Post by Bob Coleman »

computrdummy wrote:

> It auto selects the target and I see no way to change the target.

I've lost track of what is being used to attempt to restore, but this auto select makes me wonder if
if whatever it is is in simple operations mode. Traditional operations mode gives more control over what's happening. A default of simple or traditional can be set when generating IFD or IFL boot media. It may be able to be changed in settings when running one of those. I don't remember and can't conveniently boot either one right now.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Bob Coleman wrote:
> computrdummy wrote:
>
> > It auto selects the target and I see no way to change the target.
>
> I've lost track of what is being used to attempt to restore, but this auto select
> makes me wonder if
> if whatever it is is in simple operations mode. Traditional operations mode gives
> more control over what's happening. A default of simple or traditional can be set
> when generating IFD or IFL boot media. It may be able to be changed in settings when
> running one of those. I don't remember and can't conveniently boot either one right
> now.

You can enable/disable Simple Operations mode in Settings for all the imaging programs. If a Normal automatic restore is being done then could try doing it manually to select the target. You can also manually restore from a Simple Operations mode backup to have more control (restore a single partition, for example).
computrdummy

Post by computrdummy »

Thanks for your reply Brian.

I can get the boot edit menu to appear. I select the partition to the right that I think is the one I am going to install the win7 new on.
When I attempt to complete the entry I get "unable to write to disk".

I did a google search on terabyte for that error message and found NOTHING. Found unable to write to file, but that's not it.

On booting bootitbm menu does not appear, instead I get the direct boot menu cuz I had to tick this option to get the system to show ANY boot menu.

So this error is unexplained. Who knows what it means?

This happened whether or not I tried to create the boot menu entry before or after trying to boot to the install USB.

The other problem I am having is that I am unable to restore the old win7 image (the one that was effected by the accidental format under linux). I make the ntfs primary parition with enuf space-the original c: was only 45 gb and I made a parition for 60gb. Each time I try to restore the old image file which I KNOW is good cuz I used it before on the old win7, I get "target will extend into other partitions or similar.

I am tired of all these unexplained error messages that do not tell me the problem and neither do the support files on tb site.

I am ready to wait another 45 minutes under bootibm to wipe the drive and reinstall bootit bm in a final attempt to get it to work right. I know it's a good install cuz that's the one I originally used years ago for the initial install.

My system is set to bios/legacy boot not uefi (sp?) so I don't think that is an issue.

I am starting to regret ever using bootitbm. Hope this answers your last questions?
computrdummy

Post by computrdummy »

p.s.-previously cant recall all the details I did restore the old win7 image and when I tried to boot it I got: No OS installed and nothing I could do fixed that either.
computrdummy

Post by computrdummy »

Also thx to Bob for his replies.

I made no changes in the settings to the default of restore, so whatever was the default it still is.

One problem I am having is when I tried to restore the old win7 image onto a new ntfs partition, it selects HD (or is it partition 1) It's difficult to tell which partition they are talking about.
I select all the defaults under restore and I get the right tbi file from one of the data volumes to restore it, but the program only shows under from the one partition it selects for the target. Don't know WHY it is doing that but that is what it always did for previous restores under the old win7 and it always worked ok. I cannot make screenshots cuz the oz with the screen print program is not loaded. I will do it again and try to be more specific about what is occurring. Sorry my memory is not that great cannot remember all the details but will report back.
computrdummy

Post by computrdummy »

bob, what is trying to be restored is the old, pre-catastrophe win7 tbi file that worked under the old win7 OS. It's a good file but Bootitbm cannot restore it to a bootable partition. I have to do this as a stop gap measure as I cannot get the usb 3.0 drivers to work under the new win7, due to no working drivers in iso install.
computrdummy

Post by computrdummy »

ok retried to restore old win7 tbi file.

This time I checked normal instead of automatic on the restore.

I selected the correct tbi file to restore.

AND this time I was able to choose the exact ntfs partiton to restore to.

I DID that and was presented with a menu of about 10 differentcoptional settings including:

update boot.ini
update boot partition
restore first track
validate b4 restore
move to original mrb entry
assume original hd

and several others.

Which to tick.

The last time I tried to restore using automatic I got "no os installed" fix boot sector (from memory), which did nothing.

So I ask bob and brian what options should I tick to get the old win7 tbi image to boot. I know its a good image, but is not working on my in my new bootibm install. Can I get the old win7 to boot by restoring this old tbi file?
computrdummy

Post by computrdummy »

funny when I go to the board index under bootit collection and thread long time since.... The entire thread does not show up only the first few replies? whats going on?
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

computrdummy wrote:

> So I ask bob and brian what options should I tick to get the old win7 tbi
> image to boot. I know its a good image, but is not working on my in my new
> bootibm install. Can I get the old win7 to boot by restoring this old tbi
> file?

computrdummy,

Just accept the default Options. You don't need to tick any others.

It sounds like Win7 will work.
computrdummy

Post by computrdummy »

ok thx Brian I will give it a try. 9am here where I am will report back probably morning ur time.