Long time since I installed BIBM so want to be sure...

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
computrdummy

Long time since I installed BIBM so want to be sure...

Post by computrdummy »

At cafe and BIBM manual is 95 pages too long to print.

Been a long time since I installed BITM so let me know if I am doing this right??

Install BIBM from USB-Install- (tried to do this earlier with the linux on the drive and BIBM could not find a partition for EMBR so):
Here is the plan:

1) work with partitions-format the drive/linux (good riddance) to NTFS

2) create a 50 gb partition for the usb (used rufus) to install win7

3) install BIBM to hard drive letting it choose the embr partition

4) add win7 to boot edit

4) install win7 using usb by booting first to usb-will win7 choose the partition I made using work with partition and use it?

5) work with partitions again to make other data partitiions limited to 4.

thanks for all your earlier replies, hope it's ok to make this a new thread?

3) install win
computrdummy

Re: Long time since I installed BIBM so want to be sure...

Post by computrdummy »

I will return in a few hours and answer any replies. thanks.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

What will you have when you are ready to install Win 7? Just the partition containing BIBM and the one to contain Win7? Doesn't the install process ask on what partition to install Windows? If so, you should be able to specify the partition of your choice.

I would take a few more precautions:

1) Create two small temporary primary partitions.

2) Add these and the BIBM partition to the Win7 Boot item.

3) Boot the Win7 boot item. It will fail but will leave a state that has the 4 allowable primary partitions present. This should prevent the installation from creating any new partitions and therefore force it to put all parts of Win7 in one partition. Thinking ... With primaries limited this step 3) is probably not required.

4) Install Win7.

Once Win7 is installed and working, the two small temporary partitions can be deleted and replaced with data partitions. Alternatively, two data partitions could be created in the first place instead of temporary patitions.

(I'd probably install Win10 instead of Win7, but that's a whole different discussion).
computrdummy

Post by computrdummy »

Thanks to Bob for the reply. I could not wait for replies to this post.

I have installed win7 on it's primary (C) partition. Install was fast and went fine.

I think I errored in not creating a boot edit entry for the OS BEFORE installing win7 via rufus/USB.

Win7 boots fine if I tick the "direct boot" method. The partitions including win7active are shown in the direct boot menu.

However I am unable to boot edit an entry for win7. When I try to do so I get: "unable to write to disk".

I am guessing this is because I installed win7 BEFORE making an entry for it in boot edit.

THe other problem is is that the win7 ultimate which was supposedly a complete torrent-the guy has tons of them on the net and they are well received and have a following. THe problem is that it does not install the usb drivers with the OS. So I cannot access any usb after win7 boots. Never heard of this before, I thought that these OS downloads were complete, but I guess they are not.

So still stuck with a disabled win7 OS cuz no usb support. And must use direct boot cannot make an entry via boot edit menu.

I might have to go back to the image I made of the old (genuine) win7 that is either corrupted or has a hidden trojan. But it least it was complete.

No note in the torrent that drivers will not be installed. What's the use of installing an OS without drivers. Sheesh!
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

computrdummy wrote:
>
> However I am unable to boot edit an entry for win7. When I try to do so I
> get: "unable to write to disk".
>

computrdummy,

What partitions do you see for each HD in Partition Work?

Do you have USB2 and USB3 ports?
computrdummy

Post by computrdummy »

Sorry late reply, lots of comp. problems here.

I have been unable to get the usb 3.0 ports on my Lenovo

laptop to work under the new win7 which I am now using to

write this.

They were working under the old win7 that got nuked with the

accidental format.

I have tried several driver packages from lenovo, amd and

intel.None worked. Had to restore image once due to this.

Lenovo says go to microsoft for the driver but tried that and

they do not work either.

Tried adding the fourth primary and restoring the good image

from the previous win7. This time I tried to add to boot menu

prior to booting it and I still get the same error message:

"cannot write to disk".

When I tried to boot the restored image from direct boot I get

"no OS installed" and some other message about adding a boot

something or other which also does not work.

So I have a formerly good win7 old image that is worthless cuz

BIBM will not boot it.

I have four primaries now.

I guess I have to wipe the drive again-which takes FOREVER.

And I guess I am forced to install win 8.1 which SUPPOSEDLY

had support for usb 3.0 (i don't want to,but I need those 3.0

usb ports)

If anyone can advise why I cannot add to boot menu-I did this

b4 trying to boot the restore image-no go: "cannot write to

disk" (gee that tells me ALOT, NOT).

Or why the previously good tbi image can no longer boot?

I'm all ears. Thanks for listening.

To top it off I had to rewrite this post cuz the forum logged me off without any input by me.
computrdummy

Post by computrdummy »

To answer Brians question direclty, I now have 4 primaries: this os win7, extended ntfs/2 data volumes, OLD win7 restored from tbi image-which will not boot and embr and some free space.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

computrdummy,

Have you considered deleting the unusable old Win7 partition, creating a NTFS partition and installing Win8.1 which supports USB3.

See page 74 in the BIBM manual re installing an OS.
computrdummy

Post by computrdummy »

Thx to Brian for replies.

Yes I thought of that but I really don't like win8.1 because it has all the touch screen crap on it. Also I recall some warning posts about it on terabyte but I was unable to find them on search

Thinking I might have errors in the restore of the old win7 to the newly created primary ntfs, I tried it again.

The tbi file is on one of the extended volumes 23gb. It was successfully used before in restoring the old win7, no problem.

Now when When I select the old tbi file in restore from file in order to restore it to the newly created ntfs partition from the a new ext volume, bibm gives the error that the restore "target will extend into other partitions." Thinking the space might not be big enuf (even though I know it is) I resized the partition adding another 10gb. Same error message-won't allow restore to the new partition. It auto selects the target and I see no way to change the target.

I guess that old tbi boot OS files are worthless unless you have the old embr installed which makes them kind of useless?

tried formatting the new win7 partition and still getting "cannot write to disk".

So far no one has told me why these error messages occur.

I think once this is over I am going to start looking for a better imaging program that can be used with dos. Maybe I go back to ghost.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

computrdummy,

Just to summarize, your first Win7 boots without any issues?

You have BIBM installed but you can't get the standard Boot Menu to appear? You have to use the Direct Boot Menu?

When you click Boot Edit and then click Add, what happens?