MAJOR SCREWUP EMBR MISSING

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
computrdummy

MAJOR SCREWUP EMBR MISSING

Post by computrdummy »

I really screwed up big time. I was misled by all the posts that said I could run linux from usb on a trial basis.

Bottom line is that the Mint Linux 18.2 distro that I booted from usb appears to have complete formatted my computer hard drive.
I stupidly assumed that the format and install would be to USB only. WRONG!

I tried to reinstall bootitbm from the original install usb which I have not used in a couple years thanks to bootitbm good reliabilty.

Now the original bootitbm usb will not boot and the only message I get is EMBRL missing (did i remember that right?)

So no I have a useless laptop cannot boot. I think I have the original bootitbm install directory on a backup USB but I cannot use the USB since there is no OS that is bootable. The mint install hung so I can boot it from usb but it's not complete.

I am guessing I have to make an emergency dos boot disc with usb support to get the original bootitbm directory off the backup usb.
BUt which one to use? Has to be one that I can install on a usb. Can Rufus be used to create this?

SH***T DAMN Linux installs crap. My mistake I know. I think Terabyte needs to password protect it's essential files that they can be so easily erased. (sorry, I am pissed) Thanks for any helpful advice.
computrdummy

Re: MAJOR SCREWUP EMBR MISSING

Post by computrdummy »

Ok I found this on searching. Am I right that this covers my situation?

https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=231
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

computrdummy,

Can you make a BIBM UFD on another computer?

Boot the UFD in Maintenance mode on your laptop. Check Partition Work. Which partitions are present?
computrdummy

Post by computrdummy »

ok thanks Brian for your reply. sorry my late reply (got logged out not sure how). Yes I will try that and report back. Thanks much for your reply.

In further reading it appears the original usb that was used for install that the EMBRL missing message means the usb is faulty according to the manual of BIBM. I am at a netcafe now and I have already made another usb install disk for bibm. In the upgrade mode of install it says that if it can find the EMBRL on the Hard drive it will use that one? Anyways I will report back tommorow.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Don't reinstall BIBM yet. Check Maintenance mode first. Run BIBM from the UFD, not the HD initially.
computrdummy

Post by computrdummy »

yeah, bad news, just as I suspected.
That linux mint usb completely formated my hd.

In partition work under the new bibm usb install usb, looking under partitions all I see are mbr0 linux native, mbr1 extended,volume linux swap 1mb free space.

Now I will have to format my hd, reinstall bootitbm. Partition it for windows, reinstall win7 and other partitions.

Then I will have to go thru all of my .zip backups from a 1tb usb and unzip and add those to the new partitions.

I looked at some of the reviews on the data recovery programs, I don't think any of them will work and waste of time trying since the usb (with my idiot help) put data on the drive which it formated.

Let this be a lesson to all. Do not trust linux installs and do not assume a usb using rufus will keep the install on the usb.

This has really soured my taste for linux and the other ones I tried did not do this but they are problematic with install.

I just go back to windows cuz there are too many problems with linux.

I won't make that mistake again I hope. Thanks for listening and to brian in particular.

I think terabyted would be wise to add to its program a password protection before it allows itself to be formated out of existence.

I may look for another imaging program that has more protections against getting deleted.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Do you have a backup image of Win7 you can restore? I guess not. Images are life savers.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Brian K wrote:
> Do you have a backup image of Win7 you can restore? I guess not. Images are
> life savers.

Yes, including full disk images prior to making major changes to a disk.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

computrdummy wrote:

> I think terabyted would be wise to add to its program a password protection
> before it allows itself to be formated out of existence.

I don't know. Is it a reasonable expectation that something like that could prevent a completely foreign entity (a linux install in this case) from formatting the disk? Doesn't seem likely to me.
computrdummy

Post by computrdummy »

Yeah Brian I have a many backup images. But to tell the truth linux probably did me a favor because the win7 I had was corrupted anyways. So the backup image is probably got a hidden trojan that I cannot find. I will install another win7 and start over. I will turn off updates and image it immediately in case it gets corrupted to-they all do eventually. Windows is just not a secure OS. The hard part is going to be finding all the relevant data zipped backups and waiting for them to unload on the new partitions. Is there a way to image BOOTITBM itself or what is the best way to back it up in case this happens again. I don't have storage space to image the whole drive of 500gb. Thx your helpful replies.