sliding efi partition

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
jhaveri

sliding efi partition

Post by jhaveri »

I cloned a 750 GB gpt drive to a 2 TB ssd. Now I have free space after and before EFI partition. I like free space continuous to create a Win 10 Data partition. Can I slide the EFI partition to the end of the drive so free space is continuous. Currently I have Win 10 boot files in this EFI partition. I want to slide it using diskimage in Bootit UEFI on my 2 TB drive. Thanks.
Eric

Re: sliding efi partition

Post by Eric »

Yes, you can slide the EFI System partition.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

jhaveri wrote:
> I want to slide it using diskimage in Bootit UEFI on my 2 TB
> drive.

You can Slide the ESP with Partition Work.
jhaveri

Post by jhaveri »

Thanks Eric and Brian: I did slide it and had no problem using Bootit UEFI to boot windows.

I was successfully able to move Windows 10 from a 10 year old MBR Bios computer to a new EFI PC using Booit Terrabyte products. I do need a little more help now with adding my ifl (image for linux 100 mb partition) and a full Kubuntu Linux image from old PC to new computer. I was able to do it before using Bootit BM for MBR disks. But with this new UEFI Bios and GPT disk, I have no idea how to do multiboot? I do boot Win10 from my Bootit UEFI install on GPT NVME disk, but I do have ifl on this disk and Kubuntu on Sata HDD. But have no idea how to create these two additional entries in the boot on the Bootit UEFI boot menu. Both disks are GPT, but how do I add these partitions to boot? I could not find anything on the terrabyte web site support or knowledge base. I did search the forums but nothing.

You both sound like knowledgeable Bootit UEFI experts. Any help you provide will be great.

Regards,
-jhaveri
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

jhaveri,

I assume you have an IFL partition on your 2TB SSD.

In BIU, Boot Edit, Add
Fill in the fields. For Boot File, browse to \efi\boot\bootx64.efi

All OK now?
jhaveri

Post by jhaveri »

Brian K wrote:
> jhaveri,
>
> I assume you have an IFL partition on your 2TB SSD.
>
> In BIU, Boot Edit, Add
> Fill in the fields. For Boot File, browse to \efi\boot\bootx64.efi
>
> All OK now?

Brian:
Yes, except that the SSD is GPT format and ifl can not be installed according the support page on makedisk on ifl guide. So I did follow your direction, and installed ifl on a 2.5" hdd which I initialized as MBR. After installing it on MBR disk, I was able to create a second boot entry on bootit uefi menu at startup. Now the second entry of ifl pointing as you said to \efi\boot\bootx64.efi works. Thank you very much.

As long as I was getting succesful, I removed a 3.5 inch 4 TB HDD from my old pc and installed it in new one. That hdd was formatted GPT and had a kubuntu partition that was bootable from the bootit bm on the old computer. I looked at the drive in bootit uefi partition wizard, and see I have Microsoft reserved, one NTFS, one ext4 as kubuntu root and one swap partition. I don't remember how I did it, but I had used grub to install boot record on that ext4 (/dev/sdb2) partition. The bootit bare metal was booting fine when I pointed to that partition on that drive from boot menu.

However, in the new pc, the bootit uefi does not work, and it is asking me for boot file. So I guess I have to reinstall grub for uefi before I can proceed. For the time being I have created an EFI partition at the end of this 4 TB drive, but don't know what to do next.

Are you able to help me or point me in right direction. I did lot of google search, but most talk about how to install new kubuntu or unbuntu system from live dvd on a uefi bios, but nothing on transferring working linux system from a GPT disk on an MBR bios compuer to uefi bios.

I do not even know where to post this question, may be stack overflow, but I wait for your reply first. Maybe it is something simple. Thanks.
-jhaveri
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

jhaveri,

This works for MBR and UEFI systems.

Create an IFL UFD. Use any TeraByte app to copy the IFL partition to Free Space on the internal disk. Resize the copied partition to 100 to 150 MB.
Create a Boot Item in BootIt.

If you can install a fresh Ubuntu I think I can help you restore your old Linux image.
See page 59 in the BootIt UEFI manual re the installation.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Brian K wrote:
>
> If you can install a fresh Ubuntu

You need to do this to create *.efi files to boot the restored Linux OS.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Brian K wrote:

> Create an IFL UFD. Use any TeraByte app to copy the IFL partition to Free
> Space on the internal disk. Resize the copied partition to 100 to 150 MB.
> Create a Boot Item in BootIt.

Thanks for this. It wasn't intended for me, but was useful for me.

Interestingly, and perhaps not surprising to you, after I did that, rebooting the PC booted immediately to IFL. I had to disable UEFI boot sources in the bios, to get BIBM to boot again.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Bob,

That's strange. BIBM continues to work in my computers after the IFL partition has been copied to the internal drive.

You can copy the TBWinRE UFD partition to the internal drive as well. Then boot it from BIBM or BIU.

(Make sure you copy the UFD partition, not the Entire Drive)

Edit... if that happened to me I'd Reactivate or Reinstall BootIt. Similar to after installing a Microsoft OS where the new OS sits above BootIt in the BIOS Boot Order.