sliding efi partition

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: sliding efi partition

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Bob Coleman wrote:
> Interestingly, and perhaps not surprising to you, after I did that, rebooting the PC
> booted immediately to IFL. I had to disable UEFI boot sources in the bios, to get
> BIBM to boot again.

I would assume the BIOS was looking for UEFI devices first, found IFL and then booted it. You could delete the "efi" folder on the partition (or on the UFD prior to copying) to prevent the files from being found.
jhaveri

Post by jhaveri »

Brian K wrote:
> Brian K wrote:
> >
> > If you can install a fresh Ubuntu
>
> You need to do this to create *.efi files to boot the restored Linux OS.

Brian:

I was actually able to get the transferred Kubuntu work on my UEFI new computer using BootIt UEFI. I used this link: https://askubuntu.com/questions/559007/ ... 008#559008 . Specifically this command after I followed the preceding commands,

grub-install --efi-directory /mnt/esp --boot-directory /mnt/rootfs/boot --target x86_64-efi --bootloader-id "Ubuntu" $device . Next I had to change the UUID of the new Kubuntu partition (since I changed it after cloning) in the grub.cfg file, and computer booted right into Kubuntu. I did reinstall Bootit UEFI to get the BootIt UEfI menu back.

Next I am following your suggestion on get IFL work on GPT disk.

Thank you, Brian.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

jhaveri,

Nice work. What I was proposing after installing Ubuntu...

In BIU scripting

md \efi\ubuntu
copy \efi\ubuntu.001\* \efi\ubuntu /s

Boot IFL

Restore your MBR Kubuntu image
Terminal, blkid
for the Kubuntu entry, copy the UUID

PartWork
select the ESP
Edit File
open ubuntu (or ubuntu.002 if it has been renamed)
open grub.cfg and over-write the UUID with the one you just copied. Save.

Reboot into BIU. There will be a Boot Item for Kubuntu.
jhaveri

Post by jhaveri »

Brian:

What an excellent summary of how to do this. I am sure I will use it again to move linux distributions around. I did it hard way and hours of fooling around.

By the way, I did successfully installed the ifl on my gpt nvme disk as you described. Basically I use disk imaging to copy the ifl from the mbr disk to nvme gpt disk. Then I created the boot entry just like you said, pointing boot file to efi directory which actually is residing on the linux ifl partition (not on the main disk EFI partition, which had originally confused me). And it boots right into ifl.

So I have learned few things in this last week about bootit uefi, creating multiple boot entries, disk conversions from gpt to mbr and so on. What I am very pleased about is that I was successfully able to transfer both my Windows 10 (which it self was transferred from Windows 7, which was from Win XP) that had more than 20 years of programs and settings, to my new intel i9-10900k pc, and everything is working really smoothly. Windows 10 boots up in seconds on nvme ssd. Even my Kubuntu 18.04 LTS with years of programming software is now successfully transferred. When I started, most of the advise on google search was to do fresh install. That would have taken me more than a month to reinstall and set up everything. While this took a week of long hours, but it was worth it.

Now, I have cleaned up the EFI system partitions on all drives. Since I am using EFI system partition only on the nvme ssd, I deleted all other disk EFI partitions. I even cleaned up unnecessary entries in EFI system partition which were created with my failed attempts. Everything is booting fine, Win10, ifl , and Kubuntu from nvme SSD.

Thanks once again Brian for your excellent advise along the way, I am grateful. Regards, -jhaveri
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

jhaveri,

Great news. Glad I could help.

If ever you want to copy your Win10 or Kubuntu OS to other partitions on your NVMe drive or to another drive in your system, just ask. There have been some interesting threads on how to do these procedures easily. I've made notes.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:

> I would assume the BIOS was looking for UEFI devices first, found IFL and then booted
> it. You could delete the "efi" folder on the partition (or on the UFD prior
> to copying) to prevent the files from being found.

Yes, thanks, that works and has the advantage, after re-enabling "UEFI Boot Sources", of being able to insert the IFL UFD and have it boot.