MBR to GPT using TBOSD

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
jhaveri

MBR to GPT using TBOSD

Post by jhaveri »

I have currently Bootit Baremetal installed on a MBR disk on a 2010 computer with MBR Bios. I am building a new PC with UEFI Bios. I plan to first clone the MBR disk to an SSD M2 NVME disk in an enclosure as MBR Disk first. Then I want to use TBOSD script chgdtype to convert MBR external mounted disk to GPT. I will then remove the SSD GPT disk from the enclosure and put in new PC.

My current MBR has following partitions:
1) BootItMBR
2) Image for Linux
3) Win 10
4) Windows Data
5) Win XP

So when I convert this MBR to GPT, will it convert the BootItMBR and IFL partitions to GPT type. Since the BootItMBR is for Legacy BIOS, I am afraid that it will not work on the new EFI motherboard. Also will IFL from MBR disk work on GPT disk?

I have not started this conversion yet. Please let me know if I am on the right path to convert MBR/Embr disk to GPT. Note that once I get win10 working on the new motherboard, I will validate it using a different license key that I have purchased from another oem cd.

Thanks.
-jhaveri
Eric

Re: MBR to GPT using TBOSD

Post by Eric »

Hello,
The chgdtype script will normally delete the partition "BootIt EMBRM", since it is useless on a GPT disk. It will of course inform you that it will, and let you cancel or continue.
After conversion, the script will create a "Microsoft Reserved partition", and a "System reserved partition" (where the boot configuration for Win10 will be installed). In this latest partition, you will be able to install "BootIt for UEFI", to replace "BootIt BM".
IFL may still work on GPT disk.
However, Win XP will not boot on a GPT disk.

Moreover, your are changing disk and computer for the Win10 system. So you may need to install drivers for it to boot. You can use the osdtool script for that (install at least IDE and "NVMe Controller" drivers, since it will be on a SSD).
Regards,
jhaveri

Post by jhaveri »

Thank you Eric. I really appreciate your help. I already made a usb drive to install bootit uefi once I put ssd in new pc. I also removed XP partition from ssd.

Can you please clarify about installing ide/nvme drivers? Do I do that now while ssd is in nvme enclosure on old pc? I am thinking the steps are:
1) convert ssd to gpt in old pc
2) install ide/nvme drivers in ssd in old pc
3) put ssd in new pc
4) install bootit uefi
5) boit in bootit uefi
6) create win10 boot in bootit uefi
7) boot win 10

Am I right or it is other way, put ssd drive first in new pc, and after I boot in bootit uefi, install drivers before boot win 10.

Thank you for your assistance.

-jhaveri
Eric

Post by Eric »

Well yes, you can do in that order. Or everything in the new PC: step 1 and 2 can also be done while booting BootIt UEFI with the USB drive. Whatever.
jhaveri

Post by jhaveri »

Thank you Eric. I ready to begin building this weekend. Will post here how it goes.
Regards,
-jhaveri