Can't boot OS

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Logman

Re: Can't boot OS

Post by Logman »

Brian K wrote:
> Logman wrote:
>
> >
> > Does that mean anything to you ?
>
> Not really but mine looks the same.
>
> I guess you still can't get the OS to boot?
> Are you restoring an image taken of a 100 GB partition into a 70 GB space?

No, I made an image right after I resized smaller, and the image did work before.
When this happened, the OS was booting fine one day, and the next, nada

I did try restoring an old image made when the partition was 100GB, to the 70GB partition to see if that would work, but as I said above, all I got was an error message about overlapping partition so I quit at that point.

Oh well, this is the first time in years that I couldn't get an image to restore and work, guess I'll just have to slowly work at redoing the new OS to what I had before.

I'd just like to know why this happened.

Good thing I store all important data on a separate HD.

Thanks for your help Brian, much appreciated !
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Logman,

I had similar issues last year with failure to boot after resizing. I fixed mine with e2fsck.Try this...

sudo fsck -t ext4 /dev/nvme0n1p3

Does Linux boot? If not do this again.

sudo e2fsck -vfy /dev/nvme0n1p3
Logman

Post by Logman »

Hi Brian,

Neither commands do anything, still can't boot into the OS

I have a couple other Linux partitions that were resized, and they both work fine.

Before I resized the partitions, I changed from Limited Primaries to Unlimited as I had 4 partitions and needed 2 more partitions.

I don't think that has anything to do with the one OS not booting though.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Logman,

For what it's worth, I'd try this grub boot disk....

https://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair-cd/home/Home/
Logman

Post by Logman »

I'll try it tomorrow, but I don't have much hope because there is no reason I can think of as to why none of the images for that OS work when restoring to that partition, but a new OS I installed to that partition works fine.

Thanks again for your input.
Logman

Post by Logman »

Well it's been a harrowing day as I've been working on this problem.

Seems like it's something to do with backing up/restoring in Win10 and image for Dos.

First I wiped all the partitions and redid my original setup with 4 partitions and Limit Primaries in Image for Windows.

Then I tried restoring the Ubuntu image backup I had in IFD and rebooted to that partition.

This time instead of a blinking cursor I got a grub message about repairing Grub.
That was different, but after spending a few hrs online on how to fix it I gave up.

Then I redid the partitions again, this time using unlimited primaries and restored the image made with 6 partitions, using IFD for the restore, same thing with the blinking cursor for the Ubuntu OS.

Then I rebooted into Windows 10 and restored the partitions again using Image for Windows.

I then proceeded to try all the partitions in order, Win10, Mint 20, Ubuntu 20, Ubuntu 18.04 ( the one I was having the problem with), and damned if it didn't boot normally !!

I was so surprised I didn't believe it.

So I immediately made an image of that OS.

From what I can see, if I try restoring an image made in Windows, using IFD for the restore, I get that problem, but if I restore it using Image for Windows it works.

I haven't a clue why this happens for the one OS, I've made images and restores numerous times and no problems in either IFW or IFD
ViggenAJ37

Post by ViggenAJ37 »

That's strange, the only time something comparable happened to me, it was a Grub issue and went away after fixing it. Still, it's great you described your path out of that issue thoroughly, that'll definitely be useful to someone at some point!
Logman

Post by Logman »

I'd just like to know if that is a known issue, restoring an image made in IFW using IFD for the restore.

I'm sure I've done that lots of times before with no problems but not for this particular image.

I did notice there was a slight difference in the size of the image, the one made in IFD was larger than the IFW image, but other than that I have no idea of the cause.

Now I make sure I label the image/s as to what version they were created in, IFW or IFD
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

On Mon, 31 Aug 2020 11:13:43 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
Logman disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>I'd just like to know if that is a known issue, restoring an image made in IFW using IFD for the restore.
>
>I'm sure I've done that lots of times before with no problems but not for this particular image.
>
>I did notice there was a slight difference in the size of the image, the one made in IFD was larger than the IFW image, but other than that I have no idea of the cause.
>
>Now I make sure I label the image/s as to what version they were created in, IFW or IFD

FWIW, many find IFL much faster than IFD. I just wish TBU could put it
in BIBM instead of IFD.
--
Cheers,

DrT

** Amateurs built the Ark, but professionals built the Titanic.**
Logman

Post by Logman »

DrTeeth wrote:
> >
> FWIW, many find IFL much faster than IFD. I just wish TBU could put it
> in BIBM instead of IFD.
> --
> Cheers,
>
> DrT
>

I have never used IFL, just IFW and IFD.

I do find that IFW is way faster than IFD, like 3 mins for an image compared to 8 mins in IFD.

I guess I should look into using IFL and see what it is like.