Win10 startup menu

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI

Win10 startup menu

Postby skipro » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:24 am

It appears MS has changed Win10 installation to now include a startup menu, at least if it sees multiple OS's.
How can I edit or modify this menu?
Can I eliminate or disable this menu?

Yesterday I had to install some Win10's in systems with other Win10 partitions and had issues with this startup menu. Never saw this before.
My BIBM boot setup has only the boot OS visible, all other OS partitions are cleared from MBR.
I want to be able to select OS partition with BIBM and not have to go through the Win10 startup menu.
Thanks for your help.
skipro
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Win10 startup menu

Postby Bob Coleman » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:27 pm

I don't think this is new. Although I don't remember and/or never completely understood, I think Windows has always set up it's own multi-booting if an existing Windows installation was visible during install.

You say "My BIBM boot setup has only the boot OS visible". You probably had booted the existing Windows via BIBM. I assume you then booted Windows installation media with the existing Windows still in the partition table (because BIBM had put it there to boot it).

You probably should have created a BIBM Boot Item with no bootable partitions visible and "booted" via that Boot Item. Yes it would have failed because no OS was visible, but the attempt would have hidden (removed from the partition table) the existing Windows installation. This Boot Item should probably contain a partition for the new Windows and perhaps three small filler partitions to make the installation think all four allowed primary partitions are in use and prevent it from creating partitions in addition to the partition on to which to install the new Windows.

Then when you installed Windows by booting Windows installation media, the existing Windows would (maybe) not have been seen or modified by creating a boot menu.

Do you have a backup of the pre-existing Windows partition. If so, you can maybe restore it, wipe out the newly installed Windows and install again using the strategy outlined above.

At the moment, the newly installed Windows partition probably doesn't contain its boot files. They are probably now in the original Windows partition associated with or part of the Windows boot menu.

There may be ways to fix this without restoring and re-installing by copying boot files from the original Windows partition to the new Windows partition and editing the boot configuration on one or both partitions , but if so, I don't know the details.
Bob Coleman
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:58 am

Re: Win10 startup menu

Postby TeraByte Support » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:44 pm

Use BCD Edit in Partition Work or easy to find in older OS via control
panel https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=137 but win10
IMO, is completely non-intuitive and you can't get to things logically
through the UI. To bring it up Win+R key, type SystemPropertiesAdvanced
(now you have something that makes since). How did I know to do that,
because I looked it up on the Internet.



On 8/15/2020 4:24 AM, skipro wrote:
> It appears MS has changed Win10 installation to now include a startup menu, at least if it sees multiple OS's.
> How can I edit or modify this menu?
> Can I eliminate or disable this menu?
>
> Yesterday I had to install some Win10's in systems with other Win10 partitions and had issues with this startup menu. Never saw this before.
> My BIBM boot setup has only the boot OS visible, all other OS partitions are cleared from MBR.
> I want to be able to select OS partition with BIBM and not have to go through the Win10 startup menu.
> Thanks for your help.
>
>

TeraByte Support
 
Posts: 2968
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Win10 startup menu

Postby ViggenAJ37 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:50 am

Yes, it's always been like that, or at least was for a long time. Did your computer remain without updates for a while?
But so far, I've always gone through the Win10 boot menu and never had any issue.
ViggenAJ37
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:08 am


Return to BootIt Collection