BIU - clone a partition and boot it

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
fre_

BIU - clone a partition and boot it

Post by fre_ »

Dear community,

Before I’m configuring my new intel NUC8 for its’s new purpose, I’m using it at the moment to test Bootit Uefi.
So far, I only used BIBM.
I’ve managed to install BIU and I’ve installed Windows 10.

In “Partition Work” I’m having 3 entries now:
- Microsoft reserved partition
- EFI system
- Win 10

In “boot edit”, I have 1 entry (“windows 10”). When I click “edit”, I can see these details:
- Identity (windows 10)
- HD (0)
- Boot (EFI System)
- Boot File (\EFI\Microsoft.001\boot\bootmgfw.efi)

I would now like to make a clone (or a copy) of this windows partition and be able to boot that clone – independently from the original “Win 10” partition:

In “Partition Work”, I select the “Win 10” partition, and I copy and paste it. So I have 4 entries now:
- Microsoft reserved partition
- EFI system
- Win 10
- Win 10 – copy

In “boot edit”, I add a new entry “Windows 10 – copy”, with these details:
- Identity (windows 10 - copy)
- HD (0)
- Boot (EFI System)
- Boot File ( ???? )

Can someone tell me what I should fill in the field “Boot File”. I would expect something similar as the original "Win 10" partition (something like \EFI\Microsoft.002\boot\bootmgfw.efi), but I don't know what to do here ....
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Eric

Re: BIU - clone a partition and boot it

Post by Eric »

Run the fixboot.tbs script and select the 2nd Windows installation. It will create the \Microsoft.002 folder for you.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

fre_,

fixboot.tbs is a really great tool.

When you copied the windows partition you omitted a vital step. On the Copy Partition Information window you need to select "Add to Boot Menu". Then a Boot Item is created and you are ready to boot the copied OS.
fre_

Post by fre_ »

Thank you Brian, indeed I omitted the option "add to boot menu".
I copied the partition again with this option selected, and now it works like it should. Thank you again.

Also thank you Eric for your suggestion.
I'm not experienced with tbs-script but I'm very interested to get a little more insight into it.
Is it possible to elaborate how I can run that fixboot.tbs script?
What I did so far:
If I'm not mistaken, this fixboot.tbs is a part of the TeraByte OS Deployment Tool Suite (TBOSDTS).
I downloaded this tool and did run makedisk (in the uefi-folder) to create a bootable uefi usb.
When I boot from this usb-stick, I get a prompt (@C:\>) and there I'm a little lost. I didn't went further than typing "dir"....
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

The fixboot.tbs script is included with BIU (and BIBM) and will be included on the boot media and the BIU installation providing the "Scripting Support" option was enabled when the boot media was created. From the BIU desktop, you run the script by clicking the "Run" icon and then selecting it or you can click the "Scripting" icon to start TBOSDT and then run it by using the following command: run fixboot.tbs
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

There is a full description of fixboot.tbs in the TBOSDT User Manual.
fre_

Post by fre_ »

Thank you very much