BIBM saw, but then couldn't see USB drive.

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
ohaya

BIBM saw, but then couldn't see USB drive.

Post by ohaya »

Hi,

I have a 750GB drive in a USB enclosure. That was a drive I had removed from one of my laptops and kept.

Today, I wanted to get some files of of the drive,so I plugged it into my desktop, and I could see the 3 partitions on it.

I copied some of the stuff off of the drive, and then I was going to remove it, so I clicked on the "safely remove".

Then later I rebooted the machine and still couldn't see the drive, either in BIBM or in Windows 10.

I noticed that if I change the dropdown in BIBM, and select USB instead of BIOS, then I can see the drive and partitions, but I cannot add the partitions in the boot menu, so I have no way of using the drive in Windows 10??

What is going on? How can I be able to use the drive in Windows 10 again?

Thanks,
Jim

P.S. I saw some threads with similar problems, but I don't understand what the solution is, or even if there is a solution???
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: BIBM saw, but then couldn't see USB drive.

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Does the BIOS see the drive?

Sometimes doing a complete power off of the computer can help (power switch on power supply off or unplug and then wait for 30 seconds or so).

Could also be an issue with the enclosure. Does it work if you connect it to another system? I've had some that had issues sometimes with recognizing the drive.

Is the drive set as standard MBR (not EMBR)? All partitions visible normally (not hidden, etc.)?
CyberSimian

Re: BIBM saw, but then couldn't see USB drive.

Post by CyberSimian »

ohaya wrote:
> I noticed that if I change the dropdown in BIBM, and select USB instead of
> BIOS, then I can see the drive and partitions, but I cannot add the
> partitions in the boot menu, so I have no way of using the drive in Windows
> 10??

I will re-iterate what Paul said, but worded more strongly:

NEVER EVER use an EMBR on removal storage (USB disk, memory stick, memory card).

You said that you had removed that disk from your laptop. Does this mean that it has an EMBR? If it does, use BIBM to change it back to a normal MBR disk. I think that this will solve your problem.

If you have problems accessing the USB disk from BIBM, that can be a BIOS problem. My Lenovo laptops are like this, and it is unpredictable whether any particular reboot will result in BIBM seeing a USB disk. Try powering-on the USB disk before powering-on your system and entering BIBM. If that does not work, try powering-on the USB disk after you have entered BIBM but before entering "Partition Work" (I think that BIBM scans your system looking for disks when you enter "Partition Work").

-- from CyberSimian in the UK