Can you really hide a GPT partition?

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
tas3086

Re: Can you really hide a GPT partition?

Post by tas3086 »

You may not be able to hide a partition, but how about hiding the hard drive?

My Asrock motherboard has a feature to be able to programmatically provide/remove power to two devices. so at midnight, the backup drive is powered on, and a backup of my boot drive is made, and then after the backup, the device is powered off. The drive power status is retained in Asrock bios, It is not visible to anything, even between boots. But it is not totally secure, as someone could look at my backup program and determine the command sequence to activate one or both drives, or even hack the Asrock bios. But only good for os's that support hot plug and play

I'd be interested in knowing if there is an external encrypted and secure device that could control power the same way.
dax321

Post by dax321 »

dnlathrop wrote:
> it may be worth the effort to return to BIBM and legacy booting since I do not use Windows.

Legacy slows down the system.

What I'm thinking now is: could be both BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI be installed and get along with each other somehow, Linux with BootIt Bare Metal, Windows with BootIt UEFI?
One HDD UEFI/EFI partition, the other HDD legacy MBR partition table? This should be done in a new version by Terabyte because I think the MB firmware couldn't share BIOS for one HDD and UEFI for the other HDD.
Terabyte should know better... because I need to buy it yesterday, I'm somehow in a hurry to get the system done.
dax321

Post by dax321 »

tas3086 wrote:
> I'd be interested in knowing if there is an external encrypted and secure device that could control power the same way.

If a NAS can't do that...