system in hibernated state

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Post Reply
chrisangus
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 4:15 pm

system in hibernated state

Post by chrisangus »

was just about to create some new partitions and was presented with this warning
"Warning: System is in hibernated state. Making changes can cause corruption"

What does it mean and how do I fix it?
CyberSimian
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:13 pm

Re: system in hibernated state

Post by CyberSimian »

chrisangus wrote:
> "Warning: System is in hibernated state. Making changes can cause
> corruption". What does it mean and how do I fix it?

It means that one of the operating systems on your disk is hibernating. If you proceed with changes to the disk, the disk MAY become corrupted.

You eliminate this problem by booting the hibernating operating system and performing a full shutdown.

Be aware that "fast start" in Windows 10 is hibernation by another name. If fast start is enabled, when you "shut down" your system, you are actually hibernating the system, not shutting it down.

Opinions differ, but in my opinion fast start is a menace. I use hibernation all of the time on my laptop, but I want to KNOW when my system is hibernating. Fast start conceals that knowledge by pretending that it is some sort of super-duper whizz-bang invention of Microsoft.

Terabyte may have a knowledge-base article about this. If not, searching the internet will provide you with instructions for turning fast start off. But be warned: Microsoft turn it back on again after every major update.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
Last edited by CyberSimian on Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
TeraByte Support
Posts: 3062
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: system in hibernated state

Post by TeraByte Support »

On 4/3/2020 1:25 AM, chrisangus wrote:
> was just about to create some new partitions and was presented with this warning
> "Warning: System is in hibernated state. Making changes can cause corruption"
>
> What does it mean and how do I fix it?
>
>
In addition to other information, MS seems to not be clearing the flag
in the hibernation file on UEFI systems. If you know fast startup is
disabled (properties) and you didn't hibernate, you can ignore.

Bob Coleman
Posts: 698
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:58 pm

Re: system in hibernated state

Post by Bob Coleman »

TeraByte Support wrote:

> In addition to other information, MS seems to not be clearing the flag
> in the hibernation file on UEFI systems. If you know fast startup is
> disabled (properties) and you didn't hibernate, you can ignore.

To chrisangus:

Perhaps not obvious, but I'm pretty sure that refers to Properties of your windows system partition(s) in BIBM or BIU.
Post Reply