Probs with TB-Sw Versions and Upgrade entitlements

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
sigi

Probs with TB-Sw Versions and Upgrade entitlements

Post by sigi »

At first I thought I should clarify this by e-mail with terabyte support or their vendors. But then it occurred to me that it might be of general interest and decided to place it here although it embraces a
number of sub-topics. Of course Terabyte Support may delete it and place it somewhere else or just answer it by e-mail.

Confusion with products

I am confused with those many saleable Terabyte products, which are available either single or contained in suites or in bundles and I just don't oversee which combinations to buy in order to get all the items I need with as little duplicates and cost as possible.

I have decided to have always the current BootIt Collection and Terabyte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite installed and licensed on my PC.

I understand that TeraByte OSD Tool Pro for Boot is included with BootIt BM and not with TeraByte OSD Tool Suite Pro.

Confusion with version numbers

I badly miss the version numbers in setup files. I cannot find them in downloaded files. So I would have to download them anew in case of need unless I had added them to the filename upon download. As far as BootIt Collection and Terabyte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite are concerned, Win 10 "Programs and Features" does show the respective version numbers.

------------------------------------------------------------------

When trying to update my main Terabyte software products in order to properly configure my new PC the version numbers and update entitlements became relevant. I hit upon the "Existing Customers Download Portal" (cf. Attachment), which gives rise to the following

QUESTIONS

1. Is it correct that I have to pay for the update of items above the broken line (there could be more than one but aren't just now) and that I am entitled to download all the items below that line at no cost as licensed software?

2. For how long are the licenses for items below the broken line valid? The version numbers of the single intems are 3.37 at present. However, there is a Suite No., which is 3 now. Does the update entitlement expire as late as upon the issue of Suite No. 4? (I think that the time limit limit given in the E-Mail license document, which in my case was 01-NOV-2018, was not intended to prevent downloads after that date but to ease the initial download by skipping the need for input of address and order data. Is this interpretation correct?
Attachments
Exisiting Cuatomers Download Portal.jpg
Exisiting Cuatomers Download Portal.jpg (191.05 KiB) Viewed 5021 times
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Probs with TB-Sw Versions and Upgrade entitlements

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

sigi wrote:
> I understand that TeraByte OSD Tool Pro for Boot is included with BootIt BM
> and not with TeraByte OSD Tool Suite Pro.

The Pro version just needs the BootIt key to unlock the BootIt features (partitioning, etc.). For example, the Pro version installed with IFW will become the BootIt version when you register your BootIt key with it.

> Confusion with version numbers
>
> I badly miss the version numbers in setup files. I cannot find them in
> downloaded files. So I would have to download them anew in case of need
> unless I had added them to the filename upon download.

In Windows File Explorer, with the IFW installer download you can look in Properties | Details (or hover your mouse over the file) to see the version. You could download to a folder named for the version.

> 1. Is it correct that I have to pay for the update of items above the
> broken line (there could be more than one but aren't just now) and that I
> am entitled to download all the items below that line at no cost as
> licensed software?

The button(s) above your line are there if the account has an applicable upgrade/discount offer. Below your line are the links to download what you've already purchased.

> 2. For how long are the licenses for items below the broken line valid? The
> version numbers of the single intems are 3.37 at present. However, there is
> a Suite No., which is 3 now. Does the update entitlement expire as late as
> upon the issue of Suite No. 4?

The license for a major version is good for that major version (V3 good for V3.xx, for example).

> (I think that the time limit limit given in
> the E-Mail license document, which in my case was 01-NOV-2018, was not
> intended to prevent downloads after that date but to ease the initial
> download by skipping the need for input of address and order data. Is this
> interpretation correct?

Yes. There is normally a time limit on the reseller's site for the order, but you can always download from your TeraByte account.
sigi

Post by sigi »

Thank you Paul for this excellent and exhaustive explanation.
sigi

Post by sigi »

I happened to detect that there is a new Version 1.98 of the TeraByte OS Deployment Tool Suite
made available on February 28, 2020.

This raises the question for me whether the up-to-dateness of Terabyte products (or of specified products – like the TBOSDTS for example) is of equal importance from the security aspect like that of other (e.g. Windows applications) software. Could someone please comment on this?

I would also like to know whether it is imperative, desirable or irrelevant for me (who can only use it with assistance) to carry out the update of the Suite from Version 1.97 to Version 1.98?
Eric

Post by Eric »

Well, Windows will never check the signature of the Terabyte software.
Does this answer your question?
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

The update history has information about the update. Typically
additions and fixes.

On 3/5/2020 3:17 AM, sigi wrote:
> I happened to detect that there is a new Version 1.98 of the TeraByte OS Deployment Tool Suite
> made available on February 28, 2020.
>
> This raises the question for me whether the up-to-dateness of Terabyte products (or of specified products - like the TBOSDTS for example) is of equal importance from the security aspect like that of other (e.g. Windows applications) software. Could someone please comment on this?
>
> I would also like to know whether it is imperative, desirable or irrelevant for me (who can only use it with assistance) to carry out the update of the Suite from Version 1.97 to Version 1.98?
>
>

sigi

Post by sigi »

I thought as it is imperative for safety reasons to keep Windows applications up to date the same should apply to Terabyte products at least as fas as the contain scripting.