Volume label when formatting

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
AGH1965

Volume label when formatting

Post by AGH1965 »

When BIU's Partition Work formats a partition, it makes the volume label equal to the name you gave the partition in BIU. Personally I don't like that because I don't want to see in Windows what name I use in BIU to identify the partition. I thought that unchecking the "Use Volume Label" option would change this behavior, but it doesn't. Is there a way to format partitions in BIU without setting the volume label?
TeraByte Support

Re: Volume label when formatting

Post by TeraByte Support »

It always sets it, if you want to change it, you can from windows.

On 12/24/2019 1:26 AM, AGH1965 wrote:
> When BIU's Partition Work formats a partition, it makes the volume label equal to the name you gave the partition in BIU. Personally I don't like that because I don't want to see in Windows what name I use in BIU to identify the partition. I thought that unchecking the "Use Volume Label" option would change this behavior, but it doesn't. Is there a way to format partitions in BIU without setting the volume label?
>
>

AGH1965

Post by AGH1965 »

That's a pity. I would prefer to have a possibility to set or change the volume label with BIU. Why not add such feature to Partition Work?
TeraByte Support

You can set the volume label if use volume labels option is enabled.
That's why you had a volume label after formatting.

On 12/26/2019 8:13 AM, AGH1965 wrote:
> That's a pity. I would prefer to have a possibility to set or change the volume label with BIU. Why not add such feature to Partition Work?
>
>

Brian K

Post by Brian K »

AGH1965,

Can you give us examples of Volume Labels in BIU and in Windows. I'm confused.
AGH1965

Post by AGH1965 »

TeraByte Support wrote:
> You can set the volume label if use volume labels option is enabled.
> That's why you had a volume label after formatting.

Maybe I overlook something, but as far as I know BIU only offers a possibility to change the volume label by changing the name of the partition. Are you saying BIU has a possibility to set the partition name and the volume label individually?
AGH1965

Post by AGH1965 »

Brian K wrote:
> AGH1965,
>
> Can you give us examples of Volume Labels in BIU and in Windows. I'm
> confused.

Brian, volume labels are volume labels. They are the same in BIU and Windows. I'm looking for a way to set the volume label different from the partition name in BIU.
AGH1965

Post by AGH1965 »

AGH1965 wrote:
> Maybe I overlook something, but as far as I know BIU only offers a possibility to
> change the volume label by changing the name of the partition. Are you saying BIU has
> a possibility to set the partition name and the volume label individually?

No need to answer anymore, because I understand the trick now!

To get rid of an unwanted volume label that was set during formatting in BIU, you activate the "Use Volume Label" option, then you change the partition name to the desired volume label, then you deactivate the "Use Volume Label" option and finally you set the desired partition name.

I wasn't aware that BIU accepts empty partition names, but it does! Great feature!
TeraByte Support

Or you simply keep Use Volume Labels disabled, then when in Windows or
the OS, change the volume label.

On 12/28/2019 3:29 AM, AGH1965 wrote:
> AGH1965 wrote:
>> Maybe I overlook something, but as far as I know BIU only offers a possibility to
>> change the volume label by changing the name of the partition. Are you saying BIU has
>> a possibility to set the partition name and the volume label individually?
>
> No need to answer anymore, because I understand the trick now!
>
> To get rid of an unwanted volume label that was set during formatting in BIU, you activate the "Use Volume Label" option, then you change the partition name to the desired volume label, then you deactivate the "Use Volume Label" option and finally you set the desired partition name.
>
> I wasn't aware that BIU accepts empty partition names, but it does! Great feature!
>
>

AGH1965

Post by AGH1965 »

TeraByte Support wrote:
> Or you simply keep Use Volume Labels disabled, then when in Windows or
> the OS, change the volume label.

I want to use BIU as THE tool for everything that concerns partitions.

Besides, recently I saw that some part of Windows 10 still showed a previous, no longer valid volume label. Therefore I want to have set the desired volume label before I boot into Windows.