Migration from old (BIOS) PC to new (UEFI) PC

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Migration from old (BIOS) PC to new (UEFI) PC

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Restoring an entire disk image would restore the GUID values. However, you only have the boot partition from before. In most cases, reassigning the desired drive letters is all that's necessary. Is there a specific reason why you want to recover the original GUIDs?

Because of how Intel Optane works it's not something you're going to want to toggle on and off (on for normal use, off for booting to IFL, for example). You'd just leave it disabled.
sigi

Post by sigi »

I have always asked myself why it is useful to have a full backup of a drive. Here is one good example for it.

It is certainly outside the scope of this forum to ask for advice or even guidance on the configuration of Intel Optane. I think I will have to contact Intel or my PC manufacturer on this (even whether it is worth having it). But this forum can certainly advise me on two points:

1) Can I locate Intel Optane memory? Is it a dedicated piece of hardware? Can I see it in UEFI? I would have attached the partinfo of my SSD but the extension "txt" is not allowed. Should I submit it later as jpg?

Intel explains on its website:

Close the gap between traditional memory and storage with Intel® Optane™ memory, a standalone memory device that is different from all the rest. It streamlines your computing experience by combining storage capacity and intelligent system acceleration…

Intel® Optane™ memory H10 with Solid State Storage provides a personalized computing experience with SSD performance and high capacity storage. Or affordably achieve SSD-like response from your boot or data drive by allowing Intel® Optane™ memory M10 to intelligently accelerate your existing SATA storage device.
unquote

This quotation does not answer (for me) the above question. I just do not understand it.

2) Could applying now "change disk type" to my 1000 GB mechanical HDD from GPT to EMBR negatively influence my later attempts to reconfigure Intel Optane for the SSD (remains GPT)?
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

Optane is not supported for acceleration under Linux. When that
disabled it can be used as a separate drive. Under Windows it uses
RAID RST drivers to hide it so it should look like a single drive and it
uses it as it wants.

Will it work in acceleration mode under UEFI, only if the UEFI has
implemented support for it, similar to firmware support for RAID.

sigi

Post by sigi »

TeraByte Support wrote:
> Optane is not supported for acceleration under Linux. When that
> disabled it can be used as a separate drive. Under Windows it uses
> RAID RST drivers to hide it so it should look like a single drive and it
> uses it as it wants.

So I have no chance to see it in BUI under the GPT SSD? Then it's no use to provide Partinfo for it. I think I will contact MEDION AKOYA on this in order to get it working again.

> Will it work in acceleration mode under UEFI, only if the UEFI has
> implemented support for it, similar to firmware support for RAID.

As you can see in my post of Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:32 pm
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3276#p18252
UEFI supports it and I can hardly imagine that MEDION AKOYA had not configuresd it. But my rash action (disabling it in UEFI just for curiosity) destroyed its function.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
The second question of my last posting has not yet been answered. I would urgently (and gratefully) need your advice on it:

"2) Could applying now "change disk type" to my 1000 GB mechanical HDD from GPT to EMBR negatively influence my later attempts to reconfigure Intel Optane for the SSD (remains GPT)?"
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

BIU would work with it if implemented in the BIOS. Just because you can
configure it there, doesn't mean it will support it for IO. There would
be ways to tell, if you see two drives instead of one, then it's not
doing it, if you only see the one drive, it may, then you look at the
data / partition and ensure everything reads clean (one way is to start
resize to do check, then cancel).

On 2/11/2020 3:40 AM, sigi wrote:
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> The second question of my last posting has not yet been answered. I would urgently (and gratefully) need your advice on it:
>
> "2) Could applying now "change disk type" to my 1000 GB mechanical HDD from GPT to EMBR negatively influence my later attempts to reconfigure Intel Optane for the SSD (remains GPT)?"
>
>

The other drive wouldn't apply if it's not involved in what you
configure. If your drive is a bootable drive, use the chgdtype.tbs
script instead of "change disk type".

sigi

Post by sigi »

TeraByte Support wrote:
> BIU would work with it if implemented in the BIOS. Just because you can
> configure it there, doesn't mean it will support it for IO.

I read that Intel made provision in their core i3. i5 and i7 series since the 7th generation for OEM to equip their computers with Intel Optane storage for system acceleration mostly in the form of specialized 16 GB or 32 GB M.2 cards.

Since I do have an "Intel Optane System Acceleration" choice under my UEFI SATA Mode setting
(cf. download/file.php?id=583) as well as an "Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management" tool in Win10 (cf. download/file.php?id=587), I had thought that I must have spoiled the system acceleration through two rash actions:

As already said I changed the respective UEFI setting to "AHCI" and I furthermore resized the Win10 partition on the SSD from 256 GB to 90 GB.

So I made inquiries with OEM MEDION AKOYA on the subject and they told me that they had not implemented the "Intel Optane System Acceleration" in my PC. The Intel Optane UEFI setting would address the RAID controller and since I do not have a second disk paired in a RAID configuration, that's exactly what the lower part of the second picture indicates in its error message "There are no valid disk pairs in your system" (translated from German). So I probably didn't spoil anything with my rash actions.

------------------------------------------------------

I think I will now proceed with changing the HDD disk type to EMBR by means of the chgdtype.tbs script and then install BIBM there and see whether I can boot the LinuxMint there ("Lx_Rosa") copied over from my old PC (cf. the attached Partinfo).
Attachments
partinfo GPT.jpg
partinfo GPT.jpg (196.94 KiB) Viewed 5326 times
sigi

Post by sigi »

Finally I have successfully changed the HDD disktype from GPT to EMBR from within SSD(GPT)-based Win10.

Now I am desperately trying to install BIBM on the HDD but I fail on BIOS settings or makedisk, I don't know and hope for help from this forum.

My relevant BIOS settings are shown in Attachment 1. I assume that the two upper lines are OK but what about the three lower ones? I don't know what their meaning is and whether all three of them can remain UEFI. The other possibly relevant setting - Secure Boot - I have disabled. I don't know whether there are more relevant settings.

Concerning the boot media I have tried the following based on my earlier thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3123:

CD

TBWinRE and IFL work normally.
Concerning BIBM I left Scripting unchecked in makedisk. Result: not bootable.

UFD

TBWinRE and IFL work normally.
BIBM does not boot.
I think I have correctly installed the right TBOSDT? Attachment 2 should prove it (please scroll down for result if necessary).
Attachments
Att.1 - BIOS  Settings.jpg
Att.1 - BIOS Settings.jpg (236.54 KiB) Viewed 5161 times
Att.2 - TBOSDT Pro for BootIt is installed.jpg
Att.2 - TBOSDT Pro for BootIt is installed.jpg (93.74 KiB) Viewed 5161 times
Eric

Post by Eric »

Maybe you should set your BIOS to Legacy and not UEFI.
sigi

Post by sigi »

It is set to UEFI AND Legacy (look at the second line of the main BIOS window, not at the selection field). I thought UEFI has to be included because the boot partition with Win10 on it is GPT.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

sigi wrote:

> . I thought UEFI has to be included
> because the boot partition with Win10 on it is GPT.

Have you tried to install BIU. BIBM isn't for your system.