How to enable bootit makedisk to make internal HD bootable?

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
jacobsee

How to enable bootit makedisk to make internal HD bootable?

Post by jacobsee »

I am setting up a windows 10 system with Image for Windows, making backups onto a 2nd HD (4TB internal). I would like to use the bootit makedisk to make the 4TB HD bootable, so that the user can optionally boot into IFU and restore backup images to the main C drive (small SSD).

My last topic explains my workaround to use an older version of makedisk to allow a large EXTERNAL USB drive to be made bootable. However, in this scenario, I want my internal HD to be made bootable. However, makedisk does not show internal drives as options in the final 'Select Target' windows. Is this possible, or do I need to dive into the full BootitUEFI experience?

To be clear: I would like to leave my main C: drive with Win10 as is, just make an extra internal HD optionally bootable to allow image backups to be restored if needed.

thanks,
Eric
jacobsee

Re: How to enable bootit makedisk to make internal HD bootab

Post by jacobsee »

I'm also open to the possibility (and likelihood) that I'm going down the wrong path in trying to come up for a solution for what I want to do. I am a newbie at the Terabyte suite of software, so if someone could suggest the proper method for accomplishing this, I'd be grateful:

- simple system, booting to win10 on a smallish (250GB) SSD, running IFW on a schedule to take full + incremental backups to a large, internal drive, using Simple mode
- in a crisis, able to boot the system into IFU and restore a recent backup of the entire C drive back onto the drive, or a new SSD if necessary
- I've determined that I can use a USB to boot, but would like to avoid giving my customer one more thing to keep track of, would rather boot directly off the backup drive.

thanks!
Brian K

Re: How to enable bootit makedisk to make internal HD bootab

Post by Brian K »

jacobsee wrote:
, but would like to avoid
> giving my customer one more thing to keep track of, would rather boot
> directly off the backup drive.

jacobsee,

This works. Create an IFU UFD. Copy the IFU partition to your 4 TB HD, resizing the copied partition to 10 MiB.
Boot the IFU partition from the BIOS Boot Menu or the BIOS Boot Override Menu.

But booting an IFU UFD would be simpler.