Additional Win 10 Install on drive with existing 10 install

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
rwebb616

Re: Additional Win 10 Install on drive with existing 10 inst

Post by rwebb616 »

Sorry, yes. I ended up wiping out the drive completely (after backup of course) and creating a new EFI partition with BIU and resizing it to 800MB. Once I did this I restored my main partition from the backup and had to figure out how to get a boot entry into the EFI partition for it. It was a little tricky but I got it by installing a fresh copy of Windows 10 into a new partition and boot entry then modifying the BCD so it would boot my original partition.

Then I contacted support about the EFI partition and how to best manage it and it turns out it's easier than I thought. I had never used the "Scripting" button. Now if I want to manage the EFI partition it's simple to make a copy of for example Microsoft.001 to Microsoft.002 and set up a new boot entry. Never knew that existed.

Everything on my drive now is the way I want it and I had a good learning experience along the way.

Rich
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

rwebb616 wrote:

> Once I did this I restored my main partition from the backup and had to
> figure out how to get a boot entry into the EFI partition for it. It was
> a little tricky but I got it by installing a fresh copy of Windows 10 into
> a new partition and boot entry then modifying the BCD so it would boot my
> original partition.
>

Ingenious. I just played with a different method which didn't need another Win10 install. I copied Microsoft.001 out of an image (using TBIView). Then used TBExplorer to copy Microsoft.001 into the EFI partition. These steps were done in IFL. Did a BCD Edit and Win10 booted.

But you wanted another Win10 anyway.
rwebb616

Post by rwebb616 »

> But you wanted another Win10 anyway.

Yes, and I actually already had another win 10 partition on my backup as well as the main one that I planned to use. Since I have the entry now I was able to make a copy using scripting and then edit that one for the other partition.

Only thing now is figuring out how to enable recovery.. although not sure I really need it since Boot It is all the recovery I need! :)
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

I find the main value of the RE is in making TBWinRE media.
machare

Post by machare »

rwebb616 wrote:
>
> Then I contacted support about the EFI partition and how to best manage it
> and it turns out it's easier than I thought. I had never used the
> "Scripting" button. Now if I want to manage the EFI partition
> it's simple to make a copy of for example Microsoft.001 to Microsoft.002
> and set up a new boot entry. Never knew that existed.
>
Please could you tell me exactly how you created Micorosoft.002 by copying Microsoft.001.