Install BIBM on M.2 NVMe SSD?

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
CyberSimian

Re: Install BIBM on M.2 NVMe SSD?

Post by CyberSimian »

AGH1965 wrote:
> Why is it important to have only the NVMe SSD connected when installing BIU?

Brian K wrote:
> It's just me being over-cautious to make sure BIU isn't installed on the wrong drive.

This is a good recommendation if you are installing an SSD in a system that already has an HDD booting Windows 10 in UEFI mode. If you attempt to install Windows 10 on the SSD, the new installation will use the EFI partition on the HDD (it won't create a second EFI partition on the SSD). This (probably) gives slightly slower booting, but means that you cannot subsequently remove or replace the HDD (because your system will no longer boot).

By disconnecting all existing disks, Windows will create a new EFI partition on the SSD. The EFI partition on the HDD can be deleted using BIU when you reconnect the HDD.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
AGH1965

Post by AGH1965 »

CyberSimian wrote:
> By disconnecting all existing disks, Windows will create a new EFI partition on the
> SSD.

Huh? I don't want to disconnect disks before every Windows installation. Doesn't BIU create the EFI partition on the SSD when you install BIU on it?
AGH1965

Post by AGH1965 »

Brian K wrote:
> After BIU is installed you can add your other drives. Unlike MBR systems,
> with UEFI if you want to install a Microsoft OS on an alternate drive, you
> don't have to disconnect other drives.

Unlike MBR systems? With BIBM I installed Windows on both my EMBR drives without disconnecting. When installing on the second drive, I did select the swap option in BIBM though.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

In the link I posted, TeraByte recommends disconnecting other drives. Otherwise you run the risk of having your booting files on a different drive from the OS.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

AGH1965 wrote:
> Doesn't BIU
> create the EFI partition on the SSD when you install BIU on it?

Yes, it does. You must not disconnect drives if you want to install an OS to an alternate drive. Both Microsoft and Linux OS install their booting files into the ESP.
AGH1965

Post by AGH1965 »

Brian K wrote:
> In the link I posted, TeraByte recommends disconnecting other drives.

The page shows two different methods. Only the first method needs disconnecting other drives. Therefore I always use the second method.
vectorw16

Post by vectorw16 »

Hi I have kind of the same issue.

Want to boot from nvme on a bios only server.(dl380p g8) The nvme is recognized in the bios as "unknown storage device". I can select it in the boot sequence but windows won't install saying the device is not recognize by the bios which is half true. It doesn't seams to be bootable... I tried to use images for windows to clone windows on it and use a boot loader on a USB key. Windows won't boot saying something change in the config and run repair... I've tried to repair the boot record but even if it say success windows won't boot.

Any idea ?
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

vectorw16,

Your legacy BIOS probably doesn't support booting from NVMe SSDs. DrT had this issue.