Deleting Windows 10 recovery partition

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
eldiener

Deleting Windows 10 recovery partition

Post by eldiener »

I have read the Terabyte instructions, at https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=618, for deleting the Windows 10 recovery partition from my MBR disk. Of course I create a backup of the recovery partition before I delete it first. But my question is, after going through the recommended procedure and enabling Windows Recovery again through the 'reagentc /enable' command:

1) Where does Windows 10 think my recovery data is ?
2) How do I use Windows 10 recovery, if I have to, once the recovery partition is deleted ?

In general I take periodic backups of all my partitions to external hard drives, so I could probably keep Windows Recovery permanently disabled if I wanted to as long as Windows 10 keeps working correctly when Windows Recovery is disabled, but still I would like to know the above just in case I need to use Windows Recovery anyway.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Deleting Windows 10 recovery partition

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

1) Windows will normally configure WinRE to run from the Windows partition if there is no recovery partition.

2) If it's activated elsewhere (e.g. Windows partition) then it will function normally. If not, then there won't be any option to boot to it. Windows also won't be able to boot to it if Windows has issues booting. As long as everything is working properly, you can enable/disable WinRE as desired.

Personally, I think keeping WinRE active is useful so it's available if needed. Also keep in mind that Windows will enable it at every major update (WinRE is also updated to the new version). This may include creating a new partition for it if there's space (and a partition table slot) available.