BIU: "Add to Boot Menu" greyed out

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Brian K

Re: BIU: "Add to Boot Menu" greyed out

Post by Brian K »

Miss Sophie wrote:
>
> On details it shows "Free: 59 MB, Used: 40 MB".
>

What numbers do you see for the OS partition in Win10 Disk Management?
Miss Sophie

Post by Miss Sophie »

Hi Brian K,

thank you for your reply. And sorry for my late response: I didn't see that there's now a page 2.

In the meantime I contacted the support from Asus and they described me a way to create a new EFI-partition by "diskpart clear all". That was the hard way, but it worked.

Now I did the copy and changing in thsi way you described in your post before. It worked, too and now I have two entries in the BIU boot selection window. This an additional (manual) way to create a new entry in the BIU boot selection window. I appreciate it & say a very big "thank you for your help"!!!

Cheers,
Miss Sophie
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Miss Sophie,

Is "Add to Boot Menu" still greyed out in your new OS installation?
Miss Sophie

Post by Miss Sophie »

Dear Brian,

again sorry for my late response: the "Add to Boot Menu" is now not greyed out.

I saw your reply as I'm now looking for the solution of a new problem: I can save the changes when doing your way of adding a new partition:
Edit the new Boot Item to change the Identity
Confirm the new Boot File path includes Microsoft.002
Do a BCD Edit on Microsoft.002 --> I can't save the changes I made due to "read only". Why can this happen? When creating the backup-file, I ticked the "create new UID" - may this the reason for the read-only-problem?

Just for your info: I don't have very often time to look and check changes as I'm not always at home (and my family won't have access to my company-PC). So it may take a time to answer (as you may now realize it): the next time will be next Saturday to try and test any changes.

Cheers
Miss Sophie
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

I'm not sure why you are seeing "read only" or "create new UID"

I suggest you delete the Win10 copied partition and its Boot Item. Then copy the Win10 partition in Partition Work using "Add to Boot Menu".
Miss Sophie

Post by Miss Sophie »

Dear Brian,

thank you for your reply.

RO or create new UID appears when backing up the partition, not when restoring. I

I'm using BIBM and earlier versions for maintainig my HDD/SSD and creating backups. Now I'm, having problems to understand how GPT and BIU are working together: you'll see in my earlier posts I "reconfigured" my SSD with the EFI-partition on it in this way, that it was found by the UEFI-BIOS but without any boot-option. So I resetted the EFI partition with DISM and reinstalled Win10. Then I restored the WIN10-backup-file. And then I tried to clone, duplicate, restore and whatever the backup-file to have an identical partition. You helped me a lot to reach this goal!

Nevertheless I found a way to clone my partition: in the image backup & restore part I copied (forth tick-box) the current partition to clone to a new partition and ticked the update to the boot.ini. This cloned it.

Now I'm havíng 3 partitions with 4 EFI-entries. One of my next step is to delete the unused EFI-entry - and see what will happen. If I'm right, then the PC will worked as configured. If not - ok, then I will have something again to investigate, understand & learn :D It still remains a thrill to understand a new PC-system, the UEFI-structure & work and the software which supports me (or not) ;)

Maybe I found the reason why the update Boot.ini-option was greyed out. In the manual I found: "Automatic Boot Partition Update – If this option is enabled, Image for Windows will automatically update the boot partition (including an EFI system partition) when a full drive image is restored. When enabled, the Update Boot Partition option will not be displayed when restoring a full drive image."

Cheers
Miss Sophie
AGH1965

Post by AGH1965 »

Unfortunately I'm having the same problem with BIU 1.13. "Add to Boot Menu" is greyed out. Also in my case none of the 3 conditions mentioned by TeraByte Support here below is true.

TeraByte Support wrote:
> It's greyed out if:
>
> 1) In setup mode (booted from boot disk)
>
> 2) BIU is not set to manage the EFI System partition (bit 55 not set)
>
> 3) The file system is not seen as a know NTFS or exFAT type. Is it
> encrypted? You may have to manually add to the boot item.

I'm not sure how to fix this because what Miss Sophie wrote here below scares me a bit.

Miss Sophie wrote:
> In the meantime I contacted the support from Asus and they described me a
> way to create a new EFI-partition by "diskpart clear all". That
> was the hard way, but it worked.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

What do all your partitions look like in partition work, including
properties of each, also what "details" button reports for each.

On 12/8/2019 10:13 AM, AGH1965 wrote:
> Unfortunately I'm having the same problem with BIU 1.13. "Add to Boot Menu" is greyed out. Also in my case none of the 3 conditions mentioned by TeraByte Support here below is true.
>
> TeraByte Support wrote:
>> It's greyed out if:
>>
>> 1) In setup mode (booted from boot disk)
>>
>> 2) BIU is not set to manage the EFI System partition (bit 55 not set)
>>
>> 3) The file system is not seen as a know NTFS or exFAT type. Is it
>> encrypted? You may have to manually add to the boot item.
>
>
> I'm not sure how to fix this because what Miss Sophie wrote here below scares me a bit.
>
> Miss Sophie wrote:
>> In the meantime I contacted the support from Asus and they described me a
>> way to create a new EFI-partition by "diskpart clear all". That
>> was the hard way, but it worked.
>
>

AGH1965

Post by AGH1965 »

TeraByte Support wrote:
> What do all your partitions look like in partition work, including
> properties of each, also what "details" button reports for each.

Sorry, I can't answer that question anymore. I removed all partitions and after that I installed BIU again. Now "Add to Boot Menu" works fine. Thanks for the support though.