Sliding a Windows 8.1 primary partition

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
eldiener

Sliding a Windows 8.1 primary partition

Post by eldiener »

I want to slide a Windows 8.1 primary partition to my left, where i have a large free space area, in order to make more room for the Windows 8.1 primary partition to be extended. I wanted to do this with the Partition Work functionality of BIBM on the bootup screen. I have two questions:

1) Will BIBM Boot Manager still be able to successfully boot the partition after I slide it to the left. I will not be changing the partition order simply by sliding it but I want to make sure that the Windows 8.1 bootup files will still work after I slide it.
2) The Slide functionality in Partition Work has a checkbox for "Data Only". I do not understand what this option means when I slide the partition. I of course want the entire parttition to just move to the left, so I do not know how checking or unchecking the "Data Only" option is supposed to affect this.
eldiener

Re: Sliding a Windows 8.1 primary partition

Post by eldiener »

I now understand the answer to my second question. Evidently the "Data Only" option moves only the data portion of the partition when you slide the partition but not the areas of the partition which contain no data.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

1) It should be fine. You can check the boot item details and verify everything looks correct prior to booting. If, for some reason, the BCD does need updated you can use BCD Edit in Partition Work to fix it up.

2) Using the "Data Only" option is usually much faster since it won't be copying everything (on a full partition they'd be the same).
eldiener

Post by eldiener »

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:
> 1) It should be fine. You can check the boot item details and verify
> everything looks correct prior to booting. If, for some reason, the BCD
> does need updated you can use BCD Edit in Partition Work to fix it up.
>
> 2) Using the "Data Only" option is usually much faster since it
> won't be copying everything (on a full partition they'd be the same).

This worked perfectly. Thank you !