Fast startup in Windows 10

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
eldiener

Fast startup in Windows 10

Post by eldiener »

Bibm has always mentioned that Fast Startup should be turned off when booting Windows 8.1 with the BIBM Boot Manager. Does this still hold in the latest version of BIBM ? Does it still hold for Windows 10 booted by BIBM Boot Manager ? Recently I upgraded a Windows 8.1 OS, which BIBM Boot Manager boots, to Windows 10. Evidently the upgrade automatically turned on Fast Startup. Yet I noticed no problem booting Windows 10 through BIBM Boot Manager, just as I had previously booted the same partition as Windows 8.1 with Fast Startup off. I am thankful for that but I am wondering whether having Fast Startup on for Windows 10 impacts BIBM in any way.
Bob Coleman

Re: Fast startup in Windows 10

Post by Bob Coleman »

My understanding is that the issue is the same in Windows 10 as in Windows 8, it's a problem only if you boot multiple OS's which access the same disk(s)/partition(s) and boot a second one while the previous one accessing those disk(s)/partition(s) is not completely shut down due to Fast Startup.
eldiener

Post by eldiener »

Bob Coleman wrote:
> My understanding is that the issue is the same in Windows 10 as in Windows
> 8, it's a problem only if you boot multiple OS's which access the same
> disk(s)/partition(s) and boot a second one while the previous one accessing
> those disk(s)/partition(s) is not completely shut down due to Fast Startup.

In what situation would Windows 10 not be completely shut down due to Fast Startup ? Is it only if Windows 10 is hibernated and I reboot into another OS that uses one of the same partitions which Windows 10 uses ?

Because I do share a partition between Windows 10 and various Linux distros which I can boot, but I have never noticed a problem, perhaps because I do not manually Hibernate Windows 10 at any time although potential hibernate functionality is normally on in Windows 10. If I do intend to actually do anything with a Windows 10 partition outside of running Windows 10, such as with BIBM's Partition Work booting option or using GParted live from disk, I always turn off the Windows 10 Hibernate functionality before I do.

I am just trying to understand the exact scenario where Fast Startup causes problems, not just with BIBM but anywhere. I like Windows Fast Startup when it is working, even if I never manually hibernate Windows 10 itself, but maybe just having Fast Startup in Windows 10 working causes problems when Windows 10 is rebooted normally to another OS using BIBM.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

It won't completely shut down anytime you use the normal "Shut down" option.

If you've never had any issues, that's good. However, don't count on that to always be the case. Most times a quick chkdsk run on affected drives will fix things up (it usually does this automatically), but you may lose files. There are options available to force a full shutdown when Fast Startup is enabled, but I've found it much simpler to keep it disabled.
Chica

Post by Chica »

If I have hibernation disabled then I have nothing to worry about? I mean losing files
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Chica wrote:
> If I have hibernation disabled then I have nothing to worry about? I mean
> losing files

Do you boot multiple operating systems having access to the same disks/partitions? If not, you probably have nothing to worry about. If so, you may lose files if fast startup is active. I don't know if having hibernation disabled effectively disables fast startup or not.
The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

Bob Coleman wrote:
> I don't know if having hibernation disabled effectively disables
> fast startup or not.

I have wondered this myself - does running powercfg /h off essentially do the same thing as disabling Fast startup under BIBM?
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

Hello,

For now it does. But easy to just hit the button in TBINotify (system
tray) settings

On 8/11/2019 10:51 AM, Bob Coleman wrote:
> I don't know if having hibernation disabled effectively disables fast startup or not.

AGH1965

Post by AGH1965 »

The Seeker wrote:
> I have wondered this myself - does running powercfg /h off essentially do the same
> thing as disabling Fast startup under BIBM?

The possibility to disable fast startup disappears from the Control Panel when running powercfg /h off. So I assume that disabling hibernation also disables fast startup, although BIBM still thinks that fast startup is enabled.
eldiener

Post by eldiener »

AGH1965 wrote:
> The Seeker wrote:
> > I have wondered this myself - does running powercfg /h off essentially do the
> same
> > thing as disabling Fast startup under BIBM?
>
> The possibility to disable fast startup disappears from the Control Panel when
> running powercfg /h off. So I assume that disabling hibernation also disables fast
> startup, although BIBM still thinks that fast startup is enabled.

I always have Fast Startup off in Windows 10. When I disabloe hibernation, which I always do prior to doing any partition work, and then later when I reboot into Windows enable hibernation, Fast Startup remains off.