BIU upgrade question

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
The Seeker

BIU upgrade question

Post by The Seeker »

I upgraded to TeraByte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite V3 (well before BIU was released) and am now interested in purchasing BIU at a discount. However, I'm wondering whether it may be worth waiting for V4 of the TeraByte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite to be released, then upgrade all at once? Any suggestions?
Bob Coleman

Re: BIU upgrade question

Post by Bob Coleman »

My only suggestion is that, as far as I know, purchases of TeraByte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite and BootIt Collection are completely independent of each other.
The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

Bob Coleman wrote:
> My only suggestion is that, as far as I know, purchases of TeraByte Drive
> Image Backup and Restore Suite and BootIt Collection are completely
> independent of each other.

I don't think that's the case. From the main page: "Purchase the BootIt Collection and the TeraByte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite together for one low price."
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

The Seeker,

V3 software was released in August 2016.
BIBM was released in April 2011.
BIU was released in June 2018.

V4 software could be 5 years away.
Radiogram

Post by Radiogram »

The Seeker,

I upgraded my TBI product licences within the last couple of weeks.

Before the upgrade purchases I held licences for BIBM 1.xx and IFW/IFD/IFL 2.xx.

Upgrading to V3 imaging suite was offered to me via my TBI product account at 50% discount.

Although my BIBM licence is for the current version, I'm about to commission a UEFI system so there was value for me in having a licence for BootIt UEFI too. Upgrade to the BootIt Collection was also offered to me at 50% discount.

The two upgrade purchases combined is about what I paid for my initial job lot bundle way back in 2006. Considering the computing grunt these software tools deliver and the benefit I've had from them over several years, it's been a good deal.
The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

Brian K wrote:
> The Seeker,
>
> V3 software was released in August 2016.
> BIBM was released in April 2011.
> BIU was released in June 2018.
>
> V4 software could be 5 years away.

That's a very good point; I'm going to buy it right now.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

The Seeker wrote:
> Bob Coleman wrote:
> > My only suggestion is that, as far as I know, purchases of TeraByte Drive
> > Image Backup and Restore Suite and BootIt Collection are completely
> > independent of each other.
>
> I don't think that's the case. From the main page: "Purchase the BootIt
> Collection and the TeraByte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite together for one low
> price."

Yes, I see that now too. I don't know if that's a temporary(?) special or if it's always existed and I either didn't know or forgot it.
Radiogram

Post by Radiogram »

Bob Coleman wrote:
> I don't know if that's a temporary(?) special or if it's
> always existed and I either didn't know or forgot it.

As far as I am aware, the bundle deal has been continuously available since at least 2006.

Releases of new versions of drive management tools (BING,BIBM, BIU) and of imaging tools (IFW, IFD, IFL) are not usually in sync, and are widely dispersed in time. When either of these packages is updated to a new version it has been TBI's custom to offer the new release to registered users at a discounted price. If one of the packages remains current, registered users need only upgrade half of the bundle initially purchased. It is a modestly priced means of keeping one's software up to date and relevant to contemporary computer systems.

As noted earlier in this thread, new version releases of either package (eg. V1.xx to V2.xx) are usually years apart. This means the duration of a licence's validity is usually long lasting. If I recall correctly, imaging suite V2.xx was released within months of my purchase of a bundle that included imaging suite 1.xx. At the time, TBI graciously extended availability of V2.xx to recent purchasers of V1.xx.
The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

Radiogram wrote:
> As far as I am aware, the bundle deal has been continuously available since at least
> 2006.

Yeah this check out. I initially bought the V2 suite back back in 2011, which contained BootIt BM. I upgraded to V3 of the suite in 2016 at a discount. I have now upgraded to BootIt UEFI at a discount, as the suite I have is still current.

Thank you all for your input.