BIU bare metal install to Z390 mobo

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Brian K

Re: BIU bare metal install to Z390 mobo

Post by Brian K »

Radiogram,

The more difficult way to clone a Win10 partition is...

Copy or image/restore with Disk Imaging/IFL/TBWinRE
use Scripting to copy Microsoft.001 to Microsoft (folders)
reboot
a new item is in boot menu
boot edit
change identity name
new item has a new Microsoft.xxx (probably Microsoft.002)
check hides
reboot prior to bcd edit
bcd edit for Microsoft .xxx

You don't have to do this.
Radiogram

Post by Radiogram »

Brian,

Wow, that seems much more involved than the process I've previously used with BING and IFL on EMBR partitioned drives with WinXP installed.

Use of scripting to copy the imaged OS's EFI boot file into the ESP would take me out of my comfort zone. I have never played with BCD edit either.

Has TBI published any articles on this UEFI cloning process as tutorials or in its Knowledge Base?
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Radiogram wrote:

> Use of scripting to copy the imaged OS's EFI boot file into the ESP would
> take me out of my comfort zone. I have never played with BCD edit either.
>
Keep this if you need it later...

(Scripting)
md \efi\Microsoft
copy \efi\Microsoft.001\* \efi\Microsoft /s

(BCD Edit)
https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=492

(My summary)
EFI system partition
BCD Edit
choose Microsoft.00x

Menu
Windows 10
Edit..Description, Device, OS Device

Boot
Windows Boot Manager
Edit..Device
Windows Recovery Environment
Edit..Device, OS Device
Windows Memory Diagnostic
Edit..Device
EFI system partition
Edit..Device

Device
Windows Recovery
Edit..Ram Disk DI Device
Radiogram

Post by Radiogram »

Brian,

I vaguely comprehend the method you've outlined. Something like this:
--use scripting to make a new Microsoft dir in EFI folder of ESP (confused; wdn't this dir already exist if Win installed?)**
--then by scripting copy an existing Win10 boot file (Microsoft.001 in this instance) to new folder in ESP
--BCD edit is used to modify the system's /firmware/ settings to suit location and description of partition to be booted by cloned OS

The scripting is done when the system is not live, so no OS is using the ESP. Perform script work using BIU's TBOSDT?

**If cloning/restoring Win10, say, to a boot drive where Win10 is/was installed, ESP would already have a Microsoft dir, wouldn't it?

Found this thread where someone was trying to make this work:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2963

Always something new to learn. All this might make more sense when I can run through it on the new system.

Thanks for your guidance.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Radiogram wrote:

> --use scripting to make a new Microsoft dir in EFI folder of ESP (confused;
> wdn't this dir already exist if Win installed?)**

Radiogram,

In BIU (Windows OS are offline) there is no Microsoft folder in the ESP. There are Microsoft.001, Microsoft.002, etc depending on the number of OS. Let's say you boot Win10 which is referenced by Microsoft.002. Then Microsoft.002 is renamed to Microsoft at boot and renamed to Microsoft.002 when the OS shuts down.

In the scripting example I outlined where the Microsoft folder was created, the folder is renamed to Microsoft.xxx at the reboot to BIU. Microsoft.xxx will be in the Boot File line for the new Boot Item. As Microsoft.xxx is a copy of Microsoft.001 it will need a BCD Edit to make it relevant so the new OS can boot.
Radiogram

Post by Radiogram »

Brian,

On a related theme, let's say a UEFI boot drive fails. Backup images of OS partitions have been saved.

When restoring to a replacement drive, BIU could create a new ESP but it would not contain EFI system files for any OS that will be restored.

Is it possible for EFI system files to be copied into the new ESP and rebuild/restore its contents?

Presumably it would be simpler to also restore a saved image of the failed drive's ESP.

But if the order and/or number of OSes restored to the replacement drive is changed then EFI boot files within the ESP would need to be altered via BCD Edit to make them relevant to the new positions of OS partitions on the replacement drive. Is this right?

Standing at the bottom of the hill of EUFI knowledge and looking up, it seems like the process would be somewhat involved.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Radiogram wrote:
>
> On a related theme, let's say a UEFI boot drive fails. Backup images of OS
> partitions have been saved.
>
> When restoring to a replacement drive, BIU could create a new ESP but it
> would not contain EFI system files for any OS that will be restored.
>

Radiogram,

No problem here. Create Entire Drive backups. So if the drive fails, replace it with a new drive and restore the Entire Drive backup image. Fixed. Everything back in place. You will probably need to reinstall BIU but all the old BIU files will still be present after the reinstall.