Validate copied partition

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
AGH1965

Validate copied partition

Post by AGH1965 »

When I copy a partition with Partition Work, I would like to validate that, just like I can validate the backups I make with Disk Imaging. As far as I know that is not possible. Would it be possible to add such feature to a future version of BIBM?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Validate copied partition

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

You could copy it with IFD and use the Validate Byte-for-Byte option.
AGH1965

Post by AGH1965 »

Indeed that is a possibility, but making a full backup including validation and restoring that with byte-for-byte validation to another location is a lot of effort for just cloning a partition with 100% reliability. It would be a lot easier if the copy+paste of BIBM's Partition Work would have a validation option.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

You would copy the partition using byte-for-byte validation. So, instead of using copy & paste in Partition Work, start IFD and use the Copy option. It's not a backup & restore operation.
CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian »

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:
> instead of using copy & paste in Partition Work, start IFD and use the Copy
> option.

Except that it is simpler if this capability is available in "Partition Work", when one is re-organising one's partitions. I agree that the capability is available via IFD (although I never realised that until I read your post), but it would be more convenient if the capability were available in "Partition Work" too.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
AGH1965

Post by AGH1965 »

Thank you so much!

Although I use IFD at least once a month, I've never asked myself: "What would IFD's copy operation do?" I expected it do something with disk images, something that I didn't need so far. To be honest, I find BIBM's Partition Work a much more logical place for such functionality. Nevertheless I will use IFD's copy operation from now on.