BootIt UEFI: inconsistent driver numbers and cannot backup

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
dnlathrop

BootIt UEFI: inconsistent driver numbers and cannot backup

Post by dnlathrop »

I installed BIU on a machine with an OS (linux) already installed. (Incidentally, I have tried installing several times such installing BIU first, then the OS, but always encounter a problem. What I describe below is the attempt that has come closest to being successful.)

BIU recognized the OS and placed it into the boot menu. I can boot the OS successfully. I have not tried to do anything else except backup the OS. The backup fails with "a read error occurred while accessing the drive."

I have posted this in the bootit collection forum rather than the image forum because it may be possible the backup fails because of some problem in BIU.

I am trying to backup the EFI and OS partitions on the SSD to an NTFS partition on an HDD. BIU is installed in the EFI partition and I elected to have it manage the boot files.

What I noticed is that the partition-work utility and the boot editor within BIU both report the HDD as "Hard Drive 0" (or HD0) and the SSD as "Hard Drive 1" (HD1) but the backup utility shows the SSD as Hard Drive 0 and the HDD as Hard Drive 1. Perhaps this is normal.

When I try to do the backup, I elect options as follows:
Backup -> Full Backup -> Physical Drive -> from Hard Drive 0 (the SSD) -> all partitions -> Single File Set -> File (Direct) -> Physical Drive -> to Hard Drive 1 -> "A read error occurred while accessing the drive."

Apparently the error occurs with the HDD because I do not see the next screen that would allow me to specify in which partition to write the backup file. I am able to open a file on the HDD partition with the text editor. I am also able to boot IFL (64-bit) and backup the SSD to the HDD.

I did not find a similar problem reported elsewhere so I posted this. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what may be causing the problem or how to overcome it?
dnlathrop

Re: BootIt UEFI: inconsistent driver numbers and cannot back

Post by dnlathrop »

dnlathrop wrote:
> I have posted this in the bootit collection forum rather than the image forum because
> it may be possible the backup fails because of some problem in BIU.

I tried backing up with IFU ver 3.29. It does not show the SSD so a backup of that drive is not possible; however, I attempted to make a backup from the HDD and selecting it produced the same error message: "A read error occurred while accessing the drive." Apparently the problem lies with IFU so I will post a message in the other forum.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

dnlathrop,

From IFL Terminal, can you run this on both disks.

e2fsck -vfy /dev/sdaX

e2fsck -vfy /dev/sdbX
dnlathrop

Post by dnlathrop »

Brian K wrote:
> dnlathrop,
> From IFL Terminal, can you run this on both disks.
> e2fsck -vfy /dev/sdaX
> e2fsck -vfy /dev/sdbX

Hi Brian. I ran e2fsck but I used different parameters (-vfn) because I did not want it to make any changes to the disks without my permission. I ran it against all partitions on /dev/sda (the HDD) and all partitions on /dev/nvme0n1 (the SSD).

The command correctly showed both partitions on sda as NTFS volumes (showing the correct volume labels), and it correctly showed the three partitions on the SSD as an EFI partition, an EXT4 partition for the linux OS, and a swap partition. Of course, only the EXT4 partition could be analyzed by the command; it indicated no errors.