Can I force a new BIU install rather than reactivate/repair?

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
dnlathrop

Can I force a new BIU install rather than reactivate/repair?

Post by dnlathrop »

I purchased a license for BIU today and attempted to install it in a system that has an SSD and an HDD. I cannot do the install because it offers to reactivate/repair instead.

The SSD has the running system and the UEFI boot partition where I want to install BIU. The HDD has mainly data but it also has a few OS with BIBM. There lies the problem. The BIU install sees BIBM and doesn't offer to do a new install.

BIBM and the OS on the HDD are relics left over from a legacy system when they were my main systems and BIBM was used to boot them. I'd like to keep them intact because they are a convenient fallback if the newer UEFI-SSD system ever fails.

I could do the install by disconnecting the HDD but that is rather inconvenient. The machine is an Intel NUC and my fumble fingers have difficulty plugging and unplugging those tiny connectors and I fear eventually breaking something. Doing it once would be OK but I am concerned about future needs. I am guessing it would be necessary to unplug the HDD each time an upgrade or reactivation of BIU was needed.

Is there a way to tell the BIU install process to ignore the HDD and look only to the SSD? Or is it possible to hide the BIBM partition from BIU?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Can I force a new BIU install rather than reactivate/rep

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Are you sure you selected the option in MakeDisk to create the BIU boot media? BIU and BIBM don't update each other.
dnlathrop

Post by dnlathrop »

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:
> Are you sure you selected the option in MakeDisk to create the BIU boot
> media? BIU and BIBM don't update each other.
Yes I am sure. Actually, I was not given the choice to select either BIBM or BIU when I made the boot media even though I see both products have a folder in the un-ZIPPed collection of files.

When I boot the installer, the dialog box gives me two choices: reactivate or repair BootIt UEFI.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

If you're creating the media from the BootIt Collection download, it's the very first option you select:
PC Platform (BIOS) -- this one should be selected for BIBM (default)
PC Platform (UEFI) -- this one should be selected for BIU

I assume BIU wasn't previously installed on the system. Have you checked the EFI System partition?
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

It's the first choice make, PC Platform type.

If BIU is already installed, you do the repair which is a reinstall.

"dnlathrop" wrote in message news:16933@public.bootitbm...

> Are you sure you selected the option in MakeDisk to create the BIU boot
> media? BIU and BIBM don't update each other.
Yes I am sure. Actually, I was not given the choice to select either BIBM or
BIU when I made the boot media even though I see both products have a folder
in the un-ZIPPed collection of files.

When I boot the installer, the dialog box gives me two choices: reactivate
or repair BootIt UEFI.

dnlathrop

Post by dnlathrop »

> If you're creating the media from the BootIt Collection download, it's the
> very first option you select:
> PC Platform (BIOS) -- this one should be selected for BIBM (default)
> PC Platform (UEFI) -- this one should be selected for BIU
>
> I assume BIU wasn't previously installed on the system. Have you checked
> the EFI System partition?
OK, I now recognize when the choice is made between BIBM and BIU. I elected UEFI.

I have not yet installed BIU on the system. This was my first attempt.

I don't know how to check the EFI system partition. I can say it was created when I installed linux and is functioning normally.

To give more background, about year ago I installed Linux Mint 18.1 on the SSD, creating three partitions: EFI, root and swap. A few days ago I installed Linux Mint 19.1 in those same partitions, electing to boot from the EFI partition.

I wanted the convenience of being able to boot into partitioning and backup utilities from the SSD rather than continue to boot IFL from a USB stick so I purchased BIU for that reason.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

dnlathrop wrote:
>
> I wanted the convenience of being able to boot into partitioning and backup utilities
> from the SSD rather than continue to boot IFL from a USB stick so I purchased BIU for
> that reason.

In addition to using those functions in BIU, you can install TBWinRE and IFL to your SSD and boot them from the BIU Boot Menu.
dnlathrop

Post by dnlathrop »

Brian K wrote:
> In addition to using those functions in BIU, you can install TBWinRE and IFL to your
> SSD and boot them from the BIU Boot Menu.

I don't understand how I can do that if I can't install BIU in the first place.

I read the IFL documentation. if I understand it correctly, I can either install IFL within my linux system or I can install it into another partition and boot it using GRUB. I did not immediately understand how to do either so I took what I thought would be the quicker route and tried to install BIU.

Thus far support has indicated BIU does not update BIBM. If that is true, then what is causing the repair/reactivate dialog to appear and prevent a new installation?
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Do you have a BIBM partition on your HD? Can you boot BIBM when your UEFI BIOS is in Legacy mode?

I suspect BIBM is still active in your system and needs to be uninstalled. Then you will be able to install BIU.
dnlathrop

Post by dnlathrop »

Brian K wrote:
> Do you have a BIBM partition on your HD? Can you boot BIBM when your UEFI
> BIOS is in Legacy mode?
>
> I suspect BIBM is still active in your system and needs to be uninstalled.
> Then you will be able to install BIU.
Yes, I can boot via BIBM if I revert to legacy mode.

That was my initial question. Can I force the BIU install process to ignore the HDD or can I hide the BIBM partition from it? I'd like to keep BIBM intact as a fall back as I explained above.

If I do have to uninstall BIBM, how is that done? I have never uninstalled it before. And after it is installed, in what condition is the HDD? Will one of the OS be bootable?
Last edited by dnlathrop on Wed May 01, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.