Is UEFI/GPT difficult

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Bob Coleman

Re: Is UEFI/GPT difficult

Post by Bob Coleman »

I decided to give this another shot following the recently provided instructions as faithfully and simply as possible.

I did get Win10 copied and a second boot item created. It seemed to be working fine with the BIU boot menu being presented and either copy of Win10 being able to be booted.

Just as I was about to proclaim success, the computer started booting directly to Win10 instead of BIU.

In the BIOS boot order (or should I say UEFI boot oorder), I have two items, "Current" and "UEFI: WDC WD10EZEX - GOWN4A0". Selecting "Current" results in getting the BIU boot menu. Selecting the other thing results in booting directly to Win10 (the last Win10 previously booted, I think).

"UEFI: WDC WD10EZEX - GOWN4A0" now seems determined to be above "Current" in the boot order and therefore, I guess, the default.

Why did this start happening after I thought everything was working correctly? I don't know. I think, but am not certain, that I edited a boot item only to the extent of checking Default and then unchecking it.

Could that simple action have caused everything to stop working correctly? Who knows?

In any event, I think there is a very high probability that this computer is simply not compatible with BIU.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Bob,

I saw this happen in a mate's computer. A few times in the first week. Then all OK. Check the UEFI/BIOS Boot Menu and put "BootIt UEFI" as the first item. If it isn't present, boot the BIU media and reinstall BIU.

That should fix it but it could happen again. Nothing serious.

Edit... It's not the Boot Menu, it is the Boot Option Priorities or whatever your BIOS calls it. Maybe Boot Order? In my BIOS, BootIt UEFI is "Boot Option #1"
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

No "BootIt Uefi" isn't present. Only "Current", so yes I could reinstall BIU and see what happens.

I think I understand the distinction you are making between "Boot Menu" and "Boot Option Priorities". I moved "Current" to the top of both, but it wouldn't stay there. I could try the reinstall and see if that helps.

My problem is I don't really want to try it for a week and see if it settles down because I don't my MBR setup to get stale if I have to go back to it.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Bob, I'd be interested to hear if a 30 seconds BIU reinstall fixes the issue completely. You don't need to wait a week. A few hours will be enough.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Brian K wrote:
> Bob, I'd be interested to hear if a 30 seconds BIU reinstall fixes the
> issue completely. You don't need to wait a week. A few hours will be
> enough.

I'm going to try again and see.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Reinstalling BIU produced "Setup was unable to configure UEFI to boot the installation". Nevertheless, "BootIt UEFI" replaced "Current" in the BIOS/UEFI menus, but despite moving "BootIt UEFI" to the top of those menus, booting directly to Windows still occurred.

Overall the experiment was a failure again.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

If the BIOS gives you options to disable individual boot items you could try disabling all items except for BIU.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:
> If the BIOS gives you options to disable individual boot items you could
> try disabling all items except for BIU.

Good thought. Even though I didn't mention it, I think I actually did that, but it didn't seem to help.
brucebne

Post by brucebne »

When installing more than one Linux OS, what is recommended regarding each OS's installation of grub.

- where should each Linux insto place grub program files? I understand only one copy of grub can be on ESP.
- if there is only one copy of grub on ESP, what does doing sudo update-grub from each OS do?
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Bruce,

I assume you are using BIU. For each Linux install select the ESP in the "Device for boot loader installation" field.

Each Linux install will create its own folder in the ESP. For example, if you installed Mint Cinnamon, Ubuntu and Fedora you would have these folders in the ESP. ubuntu.001, ubuntu.002 and fedora.001. Each folder contains grub, etc.

Or did you mean something else?