BIBM 1.54 Makedisk issue

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI

Re: BIBM 1.54 Makedisk issue

Postby Brian K » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:59 pm

DrTeeth wrote:
> To boot an OS on GPT,
> one needs more than one partition.
>

You need two. The ESP and the OS partition. But if you have 20 OS partitions you only need one ESP. It handles the lot. So 20 OS, 21 partitions. If you were using BIBM on a MBR disk you would need 21 partitions.

>If there were a way to *easily* convert my MBR drive to GPT, I would
>consider having a dabble to see what is on offer.

I'd leave it as MBR if it was my computer. Too much work to change. I thought you had a UEFI laptop to play with.

> but apart
>from the increase in drive size above 2TB, what does GPT offer?

Secure Boot. Secondary partition table. 128 partitions (for those without BootIt). It's much easier to install a Windows OS on a non HD0 if using GPT disks.

https://www.howtogeek.com/193669/whats- ... g-a-drive/

https://www.disk-partition.com/gpt-mbr/ ... -1203.html

https://www.diskgenius.com/how-to/mbr-vs-gpt.php



Unless you plan to keep your motherboard forever you are going to have to use UEFI in a few years time. UEFI isn't difficult. It just sounds difficult.
Brian K
 
Posts: 1511
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: NSW, Australia

Re: BIBM 1.54 Makedisk issue

Postby DrTeeth » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:48 am

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 16:59:25 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
Brian K disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>Unless you plan to keep your motherboard forever you are going to have to use UEFI in a few years time. UEFI isn't difficult. It just sounds difficult.

I think this motherboard will outlast me. It is a new Z390 Gigabyte
board with an Intel i9 9900K CPU and 32 GB memory.

I do have a GPT laptop. It has an SSD which does not support TRIM. I
would probably experiment with it if I were to buy BIU, but that is
not going to happen.
--
Cheers,

DrT

** Amateurs built the Ark, but professionals built the Titanic.**
DrTeeth
 
Posts: 1206
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:58 am

Re: BIBM 1.54 Makedisk issue

Postby Bob Coleman » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:09 pm

DrTeeth wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 16:59:25 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
> Brian K disturbed my reverie and wrote:
>
> > ... UEFI isn't difficult. It just sounds difficult.

I'm going to start a new thread to avoid getting this one any farther off topic than it already is.
Bob Coleman
 
Posts: 532
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:58 am

Re: BIBM 1.54 Makedisk issue

Postby CyberSimian » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:23 am

DrTeeth wrote:
> I think this motherboard will outlast me. It is a new Z390 Gigabyte
> board with an Intel i9 9900K CPU and 32 GB memory.

Just a quick question (so I won't start a new thread): I am in the market for a new desktop motherboard and processor, but I have read in various places on the internet that Intel generation 8 and 9 processors won't boot in MBR mode from an internal disk; they boot only in UEFI mode from an internal disk. (This may be a property of the 300-series chipset rather than the processor.)

I suspect that this internet info a wrong, as I cannot imagine that you are using anything other than MBR disks booting in MBR mode. Correct? Also, did you find that the ability to boot in MBR mode varies from one motherboard to another (so one needs to make a careful choice of motherboard if MBR boot is wanted)?

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
CyberSimian
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:13 am

Re: BIBM 1.54 Makedisk issue

Postby DrTeeth » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:21 am

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 02:23:18 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
CyberSimian disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>Just a quick question (so I won't start a new thread): I am in the market for a new desktop motherboard and processor, but I have read in various places on the internet that Intel generation 8 and 9 processors won't boot in MBR mode from an internal disk; they boot only in UEFI mode from an internal disk. (This may be a property of the 300-series chipset rather than the processor.)

>I suspect that this internet info a wrong, as I cannot imagine that you are using anything other than MBR disks booting in MBR mode. Correct? Also, did you find that the ability to boot in MBR mode varies from one motherboard to another (so one needs to make a careful choice of motherboard if MBR boot is wanted)?

That info is completely wrong. If the BIOS has a compatibility booting
option, you should be okay. I'd have a quick look at any motherboard
manual before buying.
My chipset is Z390. Only Win 10 officially supported, though managed
to get Win 8.1 running without any issue. Windows Update needs a hack
to continue to update windows as that is turned off is a modern CPU is
detected.
--
Cheers,

DrT

** Amateurs built the Ark, but professionals built the Titanic.**
DrTeeth
 
Posts: 1206
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:58 am

Re: BIBM 1.54 Makedisk issue

Postby CyberSimian » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:39 pm

DrTeeth wrote:
> That info is completely wrong. If the BIOS has a compatibility booting
> option, you should be okay. I'd have a quick look at any motherboard
> manual before buying.

Thank you!

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
CyberSimian
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:13 am

Previous

Return to BootIt Collection