How to boot from an EUFI original or clone Linux partition

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI

Re: How to boot from an EUFI original or clone Linux partiti

Postby brucebne » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:43 pm

Brian K wrote:
> brucebne wrote:
>
> >
> > Does the IFL launcher work from the menu?
> > What version of Mint are you running?
>
> Mint 19.1
>
> Double clicking IFL icon brings up Launcher Properties. As does pressing Enter.

So the launcher isn't launching IFL.
So it is not configured correctly.

go back to the folder where you have IFL installed.
and left click imagel.
I have my system set up for single clicks to execute... you can do this through Nemo/edit/preferences/behavior/ single click to open items

IFL should launch from single or double clicking imagel in the IFL folder

delete the launcher in menu you made. when you right click it you should get a drop down list with option to uninstall....do that.
and start again.
when making the launcher, under command, make sure you get the directory structure right.
and don't tick launch in terminal.

i.e.
Attachments
b.png
b.png (84.83 KiB) Viewed 1268 times
brucebne
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:01 am

Re: How to boot from an EUFI original or clone Linux partiti

Postby Brian K » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:45 pm

brucebne wrote:

>
> This might apply
> https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic. ... 7&t=259875

I followed the instructions to the best of my ability. Still the same so I'll put this on hold for a while.
Brian K
 
Posts: 1830
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: NSW, Australia

Re: How to boot from an EUFI original or clone Linux partiti

Postby Brian K » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:51 pm

brucebne wrote:

>
> So the launcher isn't launching IFL.
> So it is not configured correctly.
>
> go back to the folder where you have IFL installed.
> and left click imagel.
> I have my system set up for single clicks to execute... you can do this through
> Nemo/edit/preferences/behavior/ single click to open items
>
> IFL should launch from single or double clicking imagel in the IFL folder
>
> delete the launcher in menu you made. when you right click it you should get a drop
> down list with option to uninstall....do that.
> and start again.
> when making the launcher, under command, make sure you get the directory structure
> right.
> and don't tick launch in terminal.
>
> i.e.

A double click launches imagel

I deleted the IFL item and remade another. No luck I'm afraid. Let's leave it.

Edit... I just noticed I can't run anything from the Item list in Main Menu. For example, double clicking BleachBit brings up Launcher Properties.
Brian K
 
Posts: 1830
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: NSW, Australia

Re: How to boot from an EUFI original or clone Linux partiti

Postby Brian K » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:17 pm

My fault. I followed your instructions again. IFL is in "Start button", Other, IFL. It works.

I did the same with partwork.
Brian K
 
Posts: 1830
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: NSW, Australia

Re: How to boot from an EUFI original or clone Linux partiti

Postby brucebne » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:45 pm

Brian K wrote:
> My fault. I followed your instructions again. IFL is in "Start
> button", Other, IFL. It works.
>
> I did the same with partwork.

??? hmmmmm ok. I don't understand what you were doing before then!

the 'start' button is a Microsoft thing since WIndows XP. In Windows 3 and 95, and many other OSs, it's been a drop down menu.
Microsoft were pilloried when they started calling the menu button the start button.....because you had to click 'start' to bring up the shutdown and reboot buttons.
It's as silly as making a button called "My Computer"

Anyway in Mint it is called menu. If you hover over the button, menu text shows, and if you left click, the panel that shoots up is called the menu....sorry if you already know this.
Anyway, if you right click on the IFL launcher in the menu, you should get a 'add to panel' choice.
I have made buttons on my bottom panel for settings, gparted, and Linux 'disks' app, while I am going through an experimental phase with BIU and trialling lots of Linux distros.
brucebne
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:01 am

Re: How to boot from an EUFI original or clone Linux partiti

Postby brucebne » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:49 pm

Incidentally, I'll be interested to know

when you open IFL in Mint, can you adjust any of the settings of IFL and click ok to have them saved.
When I click ok, I get an error box saying settings cannot be saved.
I presume this error is caused by the same problem that stops IFL from writing images on my laptop.

And I just tried to do a partition copy in IFL in MInt, and it said it succeeded, but when I checked there is not clone.
So that kills IFL in Linux for me. If it worked, I'd probably buy it, because then I can do TBI file operations either in BIU or Linux (on unmounted partitions).
And there's a lot of advantages to that.
Anyway, BIU partition works still suffer from slow sliding, resizing, and copying, which doesn't reconcile with how quickly Imaging for UEFI can do copy operations.
brucebne
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:01 am

Re: How to boot from an EUFI original or clone Linux partiti

Postby Brian K » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:56 pm

brucebne wrote:

> Anyway in Mint it is called menu. If you hover over the button, menu text shows, and
> if you left click, the panel that shoots up is called the menu....sorry if you
> already know this.

Thanks for the info. I need it.

What I was doing before was right click Menu, Configure, Menu, Open the menu editor, Other. Trying to run IFL from the Item.
Brian K
 
Posts: 1830
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: NSW, Australia

Re: How to boot from an EUFI original or clone Linux partiti

Postby Brian K » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:02 pm

brucebne wrote:
> Incidentally, I'll be interested to know
>
> when you open IFL in Mint, can you adjust any of the settings of IFL and
> click ok to have them saved.
> When I click ok, I get an error box saying settings cannot be saved.
> I presume this error is caused by the same problem that stops IFL from
> writing images on my laptop.

You need to make the changes in ifl.ini


>
> And I just tried to do a partition copy in IFL in MInt, and it said it
> succeeded, but when I checked there is not clone.
> So that kills IFL in Linux for me. If it worked, I'd probably buy it,
> because then I can do TBI file operations either in BIU or Linux (on
> unmounted partitions).

I just did a partition clone of Kubuntu. Using IFL in Mint. All OK. Were you copying to free space? Were you copying an unmounted partition?


> I presume this error is caused by the same problem that stops IFL from
> writing images on my laptop.

I assume the images are being written but nemo can't see them. IFL sees them. Boot into Win10 and see if they are present in the target partition.
Brian K
 
Posts: 1830
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: NSW, Australia

Re: How to boot from an EUFI original or clone Linux partiti

Postby Brian K » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:13 pm

I'm using this ifl.ini

[license]
user=xxxxx
productkey=yyyyyy

[OPTIONS]
OutputDiskID=1
GlobalGeoAlign2K=1
TimeZone=AUS-11
ISO8601=1
Brian K
 
Posts: 1830
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: NSW, Australia

Re: How to boot from an EUFI original or clone Linux partiti

Postby brucebne » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:20 pm

>
> I assume the images are being written but nemo can't see them. IFL sees them. Boot
> into Win10 and see if they are present in the target partition.

The images created in IFL in LInux are not showing in Win10.
So I presume they were never successfully created.

If your machine works, then it is either a machine issue, or me not having a full license issue.
brucebne
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:01 am

PreviousNext

Return to BootIt Collection