Day 1 BootIt UEFI install to dual boot Win10 & Mint 19.1

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Brian K

Re: Day 1 BootIt UEFI install to dual boot Win10 & Mint 19.1

Post by Brian K »

brucebne wrote:

> hmmmm... I don't understand "Update Boot Partition". Is that an image
> restore option? Is this a BootIt UEFI option? or something else?

It's in IFW, IFD, IFL, IFU. I don't know if it applies to Linux OS.
brucebne

Post by brucebne »

Brian K wrote:
> Bruce, I have 4 Linux OS and 4 ubuntu.xxx folders in the ESP. I've had other Linux OS
> (no longer needed) and when I delete their partition I also delete the redundant
> ubuntu.xxx. I'm not sure how you finished up with only one ubuntu.xxx folder but you
> didn't install your Linux OS to the drive sequentially, as I did.
>
> When I click a Linux Boot Item in the BIU Boot Menu the OS loads. No further menu
> selection is needed.
>
> With Microsoft OS you can restore an old image to free space on the drive, manually
> create a Microsoft.xxx folder and boot the OS. I don't know how to do this with a
> Linux OS.

OK, that makes sense. I presume you have been very methodical in sequentially installing your Linux OSs to 4 distinct partitions, and selecting /dev/nvme0n1p1 (ESP) for bootloader installation.
And this resulted in 4 unique bootloader folders (presumably ubuntu.001-.004).

Whereas I have been installing multiple OSs to the one partition, then imaging each, and restoring as desired. I did this because I didn't originally think I had enough space for 4 Linux OSs.
THis has obviously fowled the grub entries in ESP, and I've gone along and manually deleted the bootloader folders (/ubuntu.00x) that don't work.

I then realized Linux OS partition sizes suffice as 14GB, and I restored my 4 images to newly created smaller partitions.

So my fix for this is
- ensure OSs are freshly imaged.
- then do a fresh install of each OS to a unique partition, ensuring it writes a bootloader folder to ESP.
- then restore a tweaked OS image to each partition.
- the fresh bootloader folders should now load each restored image, as I make new boot menu items for for each Linux bootloader folder.

A lot of messing around....but the price you pay for learning as you go!!!
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Bruce, for what it's worth my Kubuntu partition is 7 GB, Ubuntu is 9 GB, Mint 19 is 12 GB and Mint 19.1 is 14 GB. I don't have a Swap partition.
brucebne

Post by brucebne »

Bob Coleman wrote:
> brucebne wrote:
>
> > hmmmm. when I try to restore a Linux image to a smaller area, I get a message
> saying
> > not enough space, even though the data is much smaller than the target partition
> > area.
> > And there's no option to restore it to a different partition to its original.
> >
>
> Something that occurred to me without really understanding most of this, but are you,
> by any chance, using Simple Operations?

Bob, no I used default settings for imaging.

I finally realized how to install to a different area of the ssd.
When you select an image to restore, BIU presents a window saying all data at the original partition site will be overwritten, do you want to proceed?
I hadn't realized before that when you select no, it then hands manual control to you to select anywhere else on the disk.
I had presumed it was just spitting the dummy and not giving you further options.

This could be rectified by presenting a window that offers two options - restore to original location or somewhere else.

I still haven't been able to restore to a smaller partition than the original, even if the data is significantly smaller than the partition.
i.e.
original partition 20GB, size of OS data 5GB
this will not restore to a 10GB partition.
I seem to recall BIBM would restore to a smaller partition.
brucebne

Post by brucebne »

Brian K wrote:
> Bruce, for what it's worth my Kubuntu partition is 7 GB, Ubuntu is 9 GB,
> Mint 19 is 12 GB and Mint 19.1 is 14 GB. I don't have a Swap partition.

Brian that sounds about right.
I use one swap partition for the four OSs.
My images are around 4-6GB....while win10 is around 25GB!
Another reason I dislike Microsoft is because windows has got so bloated....though that probably includes a lot of reinstallation content.
And I've had too many failures with their 'backup' tech, such as restore points.
For 20 odd years, I've always preferred to back up the whole OS partition with an image (mostly BING or BIBM).

For absolute bullet proof operation, such as families with kids or neophytes that futz with settings, I'd create images for backups, but would also install a piece of software like Deep Freeze.
This returned the OS partition to its pre-boot state whenever the puter was rebooted.
So changes to the OS only persisted for one boot session.

This is how most computers in public spaces (universities, schools, libraries) are managed.
Anyway, I no longer provide this service, focusing on my primary income.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

brucebne wrote:

>
> I finally realized how to install to a different area of the ssd.
> When you select an image to restore, BIU presents a window saying all data at the
> original partition site will be overwritten, do you want to proceed?
> I hadn't realized before that when you select no, it then hands manual control to you
> to select anywhere else on the disk.

I don't see that. I go straight to the restore destination. I think you are selecting Automatic instead of Normal. Using Automatic won't let you see Restore Options. You won't see Update Boot Partition.
brucebne

Post by brucebne »

Brian K wrote:
> I don't see that. I go straight to the restore destination. I think you are selecting
> Automatic instead of Normal. Using Automatic won't let you see Restore Options. You
> won't see Update Boot Partition.

OK, I just went in and had a closer look at the imaging options.....and unticked the three automatic options.
And then I run through the restore options and changed the option from automatic to normal.

This gave me the freedom to restore the image anywhere.

Sorry for wasting your time! :)
I haven't gone through the manual thoroughly yet.
I was expecting the same default options in BIU as were in BIBM and BING!!! silly me! :)

No doubt I need to spend an hour reading the manual!
At least when a Linux OS takes less than 30 seconds to image or restore, experimentation is less painful

Nevertheless, I am finally feeling like I am getting a hold on how UEFI, GPT and BIU work.
And I hope there's not another major change in partition technology in my lifetime!!!!
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

brucebne wrote:

>
> OK, I just went in and had a closer look at the imaging options.....and unticked the
> three automatic options.
>

Which ones did you untick?
brucebne

Post by brucebne »

Brian K wrote:
> brucebne wrote:
>
> >
> > OK, I just went in and had a closer look at the imaging options.....and unticked
> the
> > three automatic options.
> >
>
> Which ones did you untick?

The first window you arrive at when opening Image for Eufi, has a button 'settings'....those three beginning with automatic. (scaling, boot, restore)

BTW, I just realized the BIU manual doesn't cover usage of Image for UEFI.....rather, the user is referred to the image for dos documentation, which doesn't come with the BIU download.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

OK. They are good "automatics". Mine are ticked.

They are not associated with Automatic/Normal.