Day 1 BootIt UEFI install to dual boot Win10 & Mint 19.1

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Brian K

Re: Day 1 BootIt UEFI install to dual boot Win10 & Mint 19.1

Post by Brian K »

Just about to go to archery. Back in a few hours. I added another sentence to my above post.
brucebne

Post by brucebne »

Brian K wrote:
> Just about to go to archery. Back in a few hours. I added another sentence
> to my above post.

Ah, ok I just recalled what tbexplorer is - tbi file viewer, which I haven't used in yonks.
I don't see it on the terabyte website - will have a look through my old licensed BINGs.

BTW, I've wasted way too much time trying to multiboot a cloned copy of Linux Mint....and am moving on.
There's just way too many permutations to attempt this via a process of discovery or trial and error.....and a paucity of information on the net.

BIU's main functions are multibooting and partition management, but there's nothing in the manual about dual booting two Linux partitions let alone clones.

------------

Some things I have learned:

- when creating images from a stable system, image the OSs and EFI partitions, preferably to separate drive . I've restored both and this can get you out of all sorts of trouble once you start editing file system GUIIDs, grub, and BOOT folder *.cfg's.
- generally when I start messing around in the dark as I have been with this, I follow best practise and image the whole laptop drive, swap the clone into the laptop, and experiment with it.
- I've been able to change file system GUIID, but not how to create a successful boot loader entry in EFI.
- When I boot with a cloned Mint partition (and unique GUIID), BIU loaded the cloned copy which has a different partition number. Some internet resources said it can be random which is loaded.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

TBExplorer is in Run, tbexplo.tbs. Make sure you use Ctrl+<O> to View Hidden Files and System Files.

I couldn't boot a Linux clone either but installing a new Linux OS is easy. I have 4 Linux OS in my BIU Multi-boot. (also IFL, 4 Microsoft OS and several WinPEs)
brucebne

Post by brucebne »

Brian K wrote:
> TBExplorer is in Run, tbexplo.tbs. Make sure you use Ctrl+<O> to View Hidden
> Files and System Files.
>
> I couldn't boot a Linux clone either but installing a new Linux OS is easy. I have 4
> Linux OS in my BIU Multi-boot. (also IFL, 4 Microsoft OS and several WinPEs)

hmmm....I execute 'run' and get the file manager window, but Ctrl+<O> reveals nothing in addition empty folders, so I am stuck with the *.bat and *.cmd default

I am want to believe either Linux Mint maps the ESP file structure into the Mint OS /BOOT folder, or there's a master copy on the OS partition which is updated to ESP.
Either way, I know some boot issues are resolved when I restore a bkup of ESP.

Re installing more than one incidence of Mint from scratch, yes that's baby stuff. :)
However, getting a clone to work is a different ball game, requiring changing the clone file GUIID, and generating a unique boot loader entry.

There's a process someone explained where to get a clone to work, you paste the clone into a new partition, then run the new Linux OS intallation process on that partition, but interrupt it at some point.
Maybe I'll try that eventually.

Another option is to just do a new Mint install to a blank partition, and see how grub and bootit deal with it.
If that works, then move onto getting a clone to work.

I'd like to be able to master booting clones on different ssd's or as a 2nd copy on original ssd (as BootIt NG and BIBM permitted).....
I am using a Lenovo Yoga 720 and it has several hardware driver issues that need to be futzed with to get everything working.... so a new insto needs around 20 adjustments to set up as I desire including setting a local copy of cloud as desktop.
brucebne

Post by brucebne »

Something else I have not been able to do with BIU is restore an image anywhere other than to its original location.
The manual says when wanting to restore to different location, one has to select the compress option when creating the image originally....I did hit the compress button, but nothing happens when I do.
When I want to image other partitions, and I select compress, I get a menu asking how much compression I want.

So it's evident BIU is a long way off the functionality of its EMBR predecessors.
brucebne

Post by brucebne »

So I gave up on getting a cloned Linux OS to boot on the same ssd as its original.
Thought I should dial the complexity back a bit.....so have been installing one Linux OS at a time on the same partition.

So have a 3 OS ssd, and all are booting fine.
Windows and Mint Cinnamon are the mainstays....and have sequentially installed to the same partition - Ubuntu, Elementary, and Manjaro Cinnamon (Arch derivative)
They all work without a hitch. I made images of each after tweaking them, so can recall any for further testing.

However, I note BootIt can only pass control to boot managers, not loaders. i.e.
- windows boot manager which boots windows 10
- grub2, which gives a menu for Linux OSs.

I could not get the Linux OSs to boot directly from BootIt UEFI.

As for the various OSs, I find Mint and Manjaro KDE desktops most functional for me.

I use a laptop fairly intensively with work and require single click access to several files, templates, and folders, as well as separate virtual desktops for multiple research themes where I might have 3-10 scientific papers open at once.
The simplistic interface of Elementary just does not allow me to create shortcuts and set things up to be utilized in a time efficient manner.

I'd say the hardware support is best with Ubuntu and Elementary, then Manjaro, then Mint.
Issues I had with Mint were earphones not working, time not being auto adjusted to UTC+10, Brother Printer network install was complicated.
All four OSs when dialled in though look and behave better than windows 10.....I'd dump 10 altogether if I didn't need Microsoft Office compatibility.

No doubt anyone considering BootIt UEFI do so because of an interest in multiboot systems.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

brucebne wrote:

> I could not get the Linux OSs to boot directly from BootIt UEFI.
>

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your statement. I click the BIU Boot Item (Linux OS item) and the OS boots. I've hidden the Grub boot menu.
brucebne

Post by brucebne »

Brian K wrote:
> brucebne wrote:
>
> > I could not get the Linux OSs to boot directly from BootIt UEFI.
> >
>
> Maybe I'm misunderstanding your statement. I click the BIU Boot Item (Linux OS item)
> and the OS boots. I've hidden the Grub boot menu.

For your BIU boot items, what boot loader file does each boot item use?

My Linux OS boot items point to grub files
i.e. /ubuntu.001/grubx64.efi..
these loaders are going to boot grub, and then the OS will load from that.

If you have grub set to a 0 second pause, then it may appear the BIU boot item is booting the OS directly.

My windows 10 boot item appears to boot directly into win10, because I have windows boot manager set to a 0 second pause.

Within BooTi UEFI, I haven't been able to select a Linux or Windows boot loader file that boots without the intervention of windows boot manager, or grub2.
And this is how BIBM worked. It always passed control to WBM or Grub.
brucebne

Post by brucebne »

hmmmm....after further experimentation, I am of the view BIU cannot multiboot Linux OSs.
All BIU can do is pass control to boot managers like Windows Boot Manager and GRUB.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

On Sun, 20 Jan 2019 03:27:04 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
Gary Seven disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>I wish Terabyte would update their rather old KB and update the current User Guides to reflect OS's of the current decade. I also wish they would make the BootIt BM and Image for (Linux, Windows etc,) easier to read, but also realize it's probably not possible due to the nature of the beast, so to speak

I find the user guides very difficult going due to the style of
writing and the fact that the author is too close to the product so
the guides are not written with a new user in mind.

I HATE manuals that pose more questions than they answer. Also, the
style of "select the box to activate feature, deselect it to
deactivate it" without explaining why one would want to do either
infuriating.

My offer to help rewrite the manuals was not taken up. It could have
made a real difference. The products are fully featured, but that is
no excuse for cryptic manuals.
--
Cheers,

DrT

** Amateurs built the Ark, but professionals built the Titanic.**