Day 1 BootIt UEFI install to dual boot Win10 & Mint 19.1

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Brian K

Re: Day 1 BootIt UEFI install to dual boot Win10 & Mint 19.1

Post by Brian K »

mjnelson99 wrote:
> I would not mind using Windows much less unless it messes with my
> computer drastically. Looks like MS does not make it easy to use other
> programs?

Mary,

You can multi-boot Windows and Linux with BIBM or BIU.
brucebne

Post by brucebne »

mjnelson99 wrote:
> I would not mind using Windows much less unless it messes with my
> computer drastically. Looks like MS does not make it easy to use other
> programs?
> Mary
>

At the end of the day Mary, it's the computer manufacturers doing lopsided deals with Microsoft....and Intel.
Nevertheless, Linux could create their own RAID drivers and overcome current BIOS wars.

Anyway, as Brian alludes, I've been living dangerously.....messing around a lot with multiple Linux OSs simultaneously.

Don't let me put you off giving Linux a run.
The safest easiest way to trial Linux is run one of the varieties from a bootable USB stick. You don't even have to install it.
However, changes to the OS while running it from a stick will not be remembered when you reboot, unless you set the stick up with a 'persistence' file.

Linux Mint in particular looks and works like windows.....If you don't use any esoteric applications, then it can be seriously considered.
Nevertheless, when you do strike an issue, it usually means googling an answer, which can be hit and miss. ..... though progressively more the former

I think the future of PCs is to become more generic dumb terminals accessing data stored more and more on clouds.
Why so?
Because most people are now using multiple devices, and want access to the same data on all.

My accounting/calendar/client booking software is all on the cloud now, and accessible from anywhere in the world from most devices. Suits me.
I utilize these through Firefox or Chrome.....hence the need for a Windows OS is becoming more questionable.
However, I am a small business.....Larger businesses may still want absolute control of their network and uniform policies applied to all computers....though it still would seem cheaper to not need a fleet of highly paid system admins on site, rather than a centrally administered cloud.
brucebne

Post by brucebne »

Brian K wrote:
>
> Bruce, your UEFI firmware is letting you down. I can Slide Linux partitions and the
> OS still boots. I can delete the Linux partition and restore the image to any area of
> free space on the same drive and the OS still boots. I can delete the Linux partition
> and restore the image to any of my other drives and the OS still boots. No fixes are
> needed.

OK, granted UEFI/GPT varies based on BIOS.

Didn't you have a fsck issue after resizing one of your Linux OS's?

I suppose issues with restores depend on what else you do in between imaging and restoring.
If you image, then create or resize other partitions, then restore to a different location, that's going to change /dev/ numbers at least.

Another thing..if you restore an OS partition elsewhere on your GPT disk, AFTER doing a lot of other partition changes, how do you keep boot manager and loaders on ESP aware of the changes?

To really get comfortable with UEFI/GPT requires on my part a lot of reading of readable resources (not verbose white papers) followed by a lot of systematic and documented experimenting.
A website devoted to UEFI/GPT troubleshooting would no doubt generate a lot of traffic.

When I recover from this period of Linux testing, I'll do a bit on the Dell Latitude.
It's BIOS is more Linux friendly I think.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

brucebne wrote:
>
> Didn't you have a fsck issue after resizing one of your Linux OS's?
>

Yes, resizing Linux OS partitions smaller is a problem.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 16:35:22 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
MJNelson disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>I would not mind using Windows much less unless it messes with my
>computer drastically. Looks like MS does not make it easy to use other
>programs?

Could not be easier! Until I upgraded my hardware, I had 3 Windows
installed along with 9 Linux distros.

Moving to a Z390 chipset meant ditching Win 7 as that OS will not
recognise the USB ports. I had to drop Win 8 as it was getting flaky.
8.1 also needed a hack to get Windows update working with my i9 9900K
CPU as MSoft had disabled it. Linux Mint Debian Edition had to go as
it would not recognise my network card.
--
Cheers,

DrT

** Amateurs built the Ark, but professionals built the Titanic.**