Can BIU nd BIBM Interoperate?

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
tas3086

Can BIU nd BIBM Interoperate?

Post by tas3086 »

Is it possible through automation of some kind, to have BIU boot into BIBM, or BIBM into BIU? Maybe something like bootnow that causes the bios to select a GPT partition or MBR partition or Physical Disk?

I think that this would be possible manually (selecting one of the other), by using the F11 select boot item in my systems bios.
Eric

Re: Can BIU nd BIBM Interoperate?

Post by Eric »

BIU is for GPT type disk (I mean: can be installed on), and BIBM is for EMBR type disk. So I don't see how they can "interoperate"?
Unless you have two disks: one in GPT with BIU, and another one in EMBR with BIBM. And, as you say, at boot time, you open the boot menu of the BIOS to select one or the other disk to boot.
But I don't see any reason to do so? In BIU or BIBM, you already can boot an OS from another disk.
tas3086

Post by tas3086 »

Maybe I made a bad assumption: I assumed that BIBM could only boot a EMBR/MBR disk, and that BIU could only boot a GPT disk. I have multiple disks and types. My system bios allows me to specify the disk order and Boot partition(MKBD) or EFS selection for GPT. It is a pain to change all those values. BIU and BIBM make it easy for each disk type, but I have to adjust to boot each type. That's why I thought something like BOOTNOW might be able to select which one to go to.

Can BIBM select a GPT disk to boot from. Can BIU configure a MBR disk? Please confirm and I will give it a try.
Thanks
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

no, the BIOS on boot would determine if it's going to load using UEFI or
normal BIOS via the CSM.

The direct boot option in BIU can choose a boot option in the BIOS if the
BIOS has one for a MBR drive.

But bootnow isn't going to work between BIBM and BIU since the process is
completely different.

"tas3086" wrote in message news:15973@public.bootitbm...

Can BIBM select a GPT disk to boot from. Can BIU configure a MBR disk?
Please confirm and I will give it a try.
Thanks

Eric

Post by Eric »

True, the legacy mode in the BIOS is also a constraint. It's not just select a disk or another to boot.
However, you may also configure BIU or BIBM to boot a partition/file in the disk where it is located, and configure the corresponding BCD to load an OS on another disk (even if it is not of the same type)?
For ex, instruct BIU to load a bootmgfw.efi file in the EFI system, and configure the BCD to load the OS on an EMBR disk (means launch the winload.efi of that OS)? If the OS can boot in UEFI mode, it should work?