BIBM USB install stick won't boot on an Intel NUC7i3

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
dnlathrop

BIBM USB install stick won't boot on an Intel NUC7i3

Post by dnlathrop »

I am trying to install BIBM on an Intel NUC7i3BNH. I used the BIBM makedisk utility to prepare an install disk on a USB stick. The NUC will not boot from the stick.

I have successfully booted the NUC using other bootable disks on USB sticks. One disk that works OK is a multi-partition disk I prepared with BIBM in a FAT partition and Image for Linux in another partition. Another disk that works is one burned from a Windows install iso file.

When I try to install BIBM, I press the F10 key to get the BIOS boot menu. I select the USB stick, press ENTER, the screen goes dark, the USB stick LED blinks a few times and that's it.

I tried making a BIBM install disk using two different USB sticks just in case there was a hardware compatibility problem. One stick was the same that successfully booted the Windows install iso. So I think that rules out any hardware problem.

This particular NUC has a socket for an M2 SSD drive but I have not yet installed anything in that socket. The only drive is a conventional SATA HDD.

I have tried BIBM installs using versions 1.35 and 1.36a.

Does anyone have any suggestion as to what is wrong or what to try next?
CyberSimian

Re: BIBM USB install stick won't boot on an Intel NUC7i3

Post by CyberSimian »

dnlathrop wrote:
> When I try to install BIBM, I press the F10 key to get the BIOS boot menu.
> I select the USB stick, press ENTER, the screen goes dark, the USB stick
> LED blinks a few times and that's it.

This suggests that the BIOS in your NUC is set to "UEFI only", but the BIBM USB memory stick is MBR, and so cannot be booted on a UEFI system. You can boot the Windows install memory stick because it contains the files necessary for a UEFI boot. That may also be true for the IFL memory stick (I have never used IFL, so I am guessing).

The solution is to enter "BIOS Setup" and change the "Boot Mode" setting from "UEFI only" to "Legacy Support". This latter is the setting that will allow booting from an MBR memory stick. Bear in mind that this setting might be called something else on your system, so look for any setting that mentions "legacy" or "compatibility" or "MBR" or ...

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
dnlathrop

Post by dnlathrop »

Thanks for the reply. UEFI booting and secure booting are disabled and legacy booting is enabled.

Just for grins, I enabled UEFI booting and kept Legacy booting enabled, which according to BIOS help text, should first try UEFI booting and then if that fails try legacy booting.
Same result.

I disabled UEFI booting and tried again just to see if something changed. Nope.

Just to clarify, the first USB stick I mentioned boots to BIBM in a FAT partition; I boot Image for Linux from BIBM. I do not think this is UEFI bootable. I would appreciate knowing if I am wrong about this.

Any other thoughts?

Since the system can boot BIBM itself, but not the install disk, I may have to connect the drive on another system and install it there. This seems very weird.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

You may need to use a different USB Layout option when creating the BIBM boot media. Some systems don't work well with some layouts.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Regarding a couple of mentions of IFL above, an IFL USB stick will boot in UEFI mode. I presume the same is true for an IFL CD or DVD, but I haven't tried it.
dnlathrop

Post by dnlathrop »

Thanks for the replies. The USB stick with IFL that I mentioned is a multi-partition drive that includes BIBM in one partition and IFL in another partition. I launch IFL through BIBM -- from the BIBM boot menu. I hope I am making sense. Since BIBM will not boot in an UEFI-only system, I know this is a Legacy boot.

I tried something else. I restored a backup of another system onto the HDD. This other system uses Legacy booting. The backup image is for an entire drive that has multiple partitions including BIBM, Linux Mint and Windows. After restoring, the NUC7 system will boot from the HDD into BIBM.

I think this conclusively shows the NUC7 will boot in Legacy mode.

As for the USB install stick, I tried RAW and partition (without Int13 extensions) formats. Since the system can boot the partitioned USB stick with BIBM on it, I think the partition structure for the install stick is a good choice.

Isn't this strange? I can boot BIBM itself on a partitioned stick but not BIBM install on a partitioned stick.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

If you haven't tried the "Partition - MBR FAT/FAT32 Partition (Int13h Extensions)" USB layout option I would recommend doing so. The "Partition" layouts with or without Int13 extensions are the two that I've used the most.