Help, won't boot

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
davewilk

Re: Help, won't boot

Post by davewilk »

mashedmitten wrote:
> Yeah, I got busy too. :blush: That and I wanted to see if the Update fixed
> it. I know it worked before, but the reinstall may have forced you to set
> up the boot info over again, fixing your issue. That's what's needed.
>
> I don't think the partition table's messed up, just that different
> interpretations are in play, BIBM's and Windows'.
>
> Did you ever delete the old Boot Edit entries and rebuild them from
> scratch?
>
> I'm willing to break one of my systems like I think you broke yours to
> refresh what I did to fix it when I erred a while ago, but would like to
> make sure you've tried all I've said before the effort.

I will redo the boot entries. If that doesn't work I will upgrade the BIBM. Then I will get back to you.

Thanks again.
mashedmitten

Post by mashedmitten »

Well, won't do that again anytime soon. Not that I couldn't fix it once I broke it, just the hassle from word one beginning with having to find the install disk to re-auth BIBM. :lol:

I did learn something, though. You should back up all images and data, anything important on the data/ OS partition/s and start fresh. No other thing for it. Download the update and use it to wipe the disk and create all partitions before applying any images or OS installs. I'd use unlimited partitions and the EMBR.

Your issue is worse than my wrecking my setup, you have MS created partitions alongside BIBM ones and that's throwing another wrench in the works. They could contain boot info which would necessitate other fixes along the way. They're probably just used to unzip the OS install/ upgrade data, but again, given your skill set it would be far easier to start over without the un-needed baggage.

Again, back everything up to external storage and start again with the latest version is my advice. It'd take a couple of chapters to sort the mess as is.

Don't forget to create all partitions with BIBM, try booting to the target partition even with no OS to make it Active, install image or OS and then re-auth BIBM before booting to the OS the first time.
mashedmitten

Post by mashedmitten »

Ah, posted after you. If those don't work follow the above.
Logman

Post by Logman »

mashedmitten wrote:
> Logman wrote:
> > Only takes a minute
>
> :wave:

Back at ya 8-)
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

On Wed, 5 Apr 2017 08:26:26 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
davewilk disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>Why would my partition table get messed up?

Unlimited primaries and the Win 10 upgrade creates a partition?
--
Cheers,

DrT

"If you want to find out what is wrong
with democracy, spend five minutes with
the average voter." - Winston Churchill
mashedmitten

Post by mashedmitten »

First sorry to the OP for my going a little OT, just wanted to share my findings on this question.

It's been a long time since I did the free upgrade on a couple of systems, but I'm pretty confident in my memory.

The first system, I went the auto route. I let the MS upgrader detect my W7 key and apply the update to that install. It creating a new partition was the last thing on my mind as the only time it happened in the past was on a fresh install where I hadn't created a partition beforehand and did it through the install media. Can happen if the OS partition isn't large enough, also. Anyway, all of a sudden I have a new partition that overwrote an OS partition. No big deal, although I wasn't using BIBM, I had a multi-boot setup and just wiped and re-did everything from my images. I can't re-call if the created partition contained any boot files or the like, I saw what happened and just fixed it without further research.

The second system was different, I did it after MS made the W10 ISO available and the ability to register the old key after the install. When I installed the OS, it behaved as expected with pre-defined partitions, it created none itself and used the target for un-packing the install contents.

Now, where I think the OP went wrong, besides MS doing its thing, is he didn't re-authorize BIBM on the last re-boot of the installer routine and Windows Boot Manager got in on the act. I could be wrong, but it's the only thing I see that checks all the boxes. Another thing that might have happened is the destination partition wasn't activated before the update or lost the tag during the upgrade routine, on one of the re-boots. Like I said, I wasn't using BIBM at the time.

DrTeeth wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Apr 2017 08:26:26 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
> davewilk disturbed my reverie and wrote:
>
> >Why would my partition table get messed up?
>
> Unlimited primaries and the Win 10 upgrade creates a partition?
> --
> Cheers,
>
> DrT
>
> "If you want to find out what is wrong
> with democracy, spend five minutes with
> the average voter." - Winston Churchill
davewilk

Post by davewilk »

DrTeeth wrote:
> Unlimited primaries and the Win 10 upgrade creates a partition?
> --
> Cheers,
>
> DrT

Well, I had Win7 and Win8 running in BIBM with unlimited primaries, and I wanted to upgrade the Win8 to Win10. I didn't look at the partition table before the upgrade, but afterward I had Win7, Win10 and two RE partitions (and a messed up Data partition). I'm pretty sure the last three are all within the partition that I originally allocated for Win8, so that should be OK (or at the worst the Win10 boot would be messed up). When these extra partitions were created I do not know (the Win8 was updated from Windows Vista).

Anyway, everything seemed fine. I had rebooted into Win10 several times after the upgrade. But when I tried to boot into Win7 again, it wouldn't boot. And now it wouldn't boot into Win10 either. Very weird.

I did the same thing on a different (but similar) machine, and everything was OK.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 08:18:53 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
davewilk disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>I did the same thing on a different (but similar) machine, and everything was OK.
Strangely, if I install Win 10 afresh, it always crashes. I used to be
able to install it that way.

Just for laughs, I copied a new win 8.1 partition and upgraded it to
win 10. That went well, but the performance was poor. The problem was,
doing it that way had win 10 create a 450MB partition. No real damage
done and just deleted Win 10 and the small partition. The performance
was rubbish plus I hate win 10. Win 8.1 is so much nicer, but I prefer
win 7 the best.
--
Cheers,

DrT

"If you want to find out what is wrong
with democracy, spend five minutes with
the average voter." - Winston Churchill
mashedmitten

Post by mashedmitten »

davewilk wrote:
> Well, I had Win7 and Win8 running in BIBM with unlimited primaries,

Hmmm, you had to use Fill for the OSes to see the data partition, wonder if that enters into it. But given DrTeeth's next post and assuming he doesn't have data partitions on the OS drive, same as I, it must be an Upgrade issue. I got around it by installing W10 from the ISO and not an upgrade.

Still, I'd do it all over. No way I could let the extra MS bits live in my world. Must be a form of OCD.
mashedmitten

Post by mashedmitten »

DrTeeth wrote:
> Just for laughs

What did you let the upgrade carry over from the old OS, anything?

Your experience mirrors mine when I applied the upgrade. Like I said, fresh install via ISO went as expected, no issues.