Win7 BIBM Unable to install EMBRI/EMBRLL

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
drdarell

Win7 BIBM Unable to install EMBRI/EMBRLL

Post by drdarell »

Long time user of BI, had NG and upgraded to BIBM years ago. Added another SSD about 1.5 years ago and occasionally I would get an error on boot about Bad or missing or wrong level EMBRM. I would pop in my CD and my menu would come up and I could boot up. I would restart my machine and all was fine. This happened again this morning after a power outage. I popped in my disk and the video was all screwed up and I couldn't read the screen. I decided I would just upgrade to the latest level. However, when I did that it wanted to do a new install! It didn't see that I had BIBM already installed. I tried to install and got the Unable to install EMBRI/EMBRLL message. I looked at my disk 0 and noticed it's in GPT mode because it's 4TB, but I did have an EMBR partition on it. I wasn't sure if I should take it out of GPT mode so I just changed this from Drive 0 to Drive 4 in the BIOS.

If I make my new SSD drive 0 then the machine boots up without going into the BIBM screen. This is good but is BIBM working? How do I get my screen back to do anything?

If I make my old SSD drive 0 then I get a message saying I have an old or unsupported EMBRI and EMBRL both are at 4.0. If I try and upgrade, I get the upgrade screen, but also get the unable to install EMBRI/EMBRL message. If I say OK through those and try it again, then I get unable to install EMBRLL and unable to copy EMBRLL. (I'm now questioning if I wrote down an extra L in that message). I also downloaded the software again thinking I got a bad load, but I got the same results.

I get the same message with other disks in my system, I also tried to manually install the upgrade and get the same error. All my disks except the large one are all EMBR.

The only good news is my system boots and is still usable, but I've had it hang up twice trying to shut down (just gets into a loop and never powers off) so I'm a little nervous about the whole situation.

I'm thinking/guessing that when I upgraded from NG to BM maybe it only got put on one disk?? That would explain the old EMBRI/L message, but why won't it let me upgrade now? and what do I need to do to make sure I upgrade all my disks?

Thanks for any help!
mashedmitten

Re: Win7 BIBM Unable to install EMBRI/EMBRLL

Post by mashedmitten »

BIBM is not functioning as it is, it's not on the boot disk. You're just booting to Windows. There's a knowledge base article on un-install, did you try that for NG and then try installing BM?

Sounds like things are pretty scrambled the way you're running it now, I'd wipe everything and start from scratch but I know it's not an option for some.

Easiest thing would be to leave the new disk in 0, install BIBM to it and use Swap to access OS's on separate disks. The other way would be to swap disks back and fix what's wrong, trying the un/ install method. I'd only try changing from GPT to EMBR as a last resort, don't know if it would be destructive. Seems I've read that can happen in some cases. Again, I'd check the KB for more info before diving in if anything critical were on the disk to convert.
DrTeeth

Re: Win7 BIBM Unable to install EMBRI/EMBRLL

Post by DrTeeth »

On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 15:39:17 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
drdarell disturbed my reverie and wrote:

> I looked at my disk 0 and noticed it's in GPT mode because it's 4TB, but I did have an EMBR partition on it. I wasn't sure if I should take it out of GPT mode so I just changed this from Drive 0 to Drive 4 in the BIOS.

My understanding is that it is not possible to install BIBM into a GPT
disk. That is why I will never use then. I love my BIBM as a boot
manager way too much.
--
Cheers,

DrT

"If you want to find out what is wrong
with democracy, spend five minutes with
the average voter." - Winston Churchill