Most common reason for Boot Mgr Missing direct boot

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
wizzleme

Most common reason for Boot Mgr Missing direct boot

Post by wizzleme »

Win 7 lenovo laptop partition 01 ntfs boot windows 7. Bootitbm is installed on the hard drive.
Partition layout is reserved(restore), win7, Data (all ntfs), bootitembr

No changes to C: boot partition except for restoring once from image, have been made- no resizing or other changes.

System boots fine when regular (bootitbm) boot win7 is made.

When Direct boot is selected I get "no boot manager or boot mgr missing" press CAltDel to reboot.

I tried to configure the boot manager under bootitbm but still the error persists.

What is the most common cause of this and how to remedy it?

I have been wout internet access for a few weeks hence my absence.
mashedmitten

Re: Most common reason for Boot Mgr Missing direct boot

Post by mashedmitten »

Direct boot only works with limited primaries, IIRC.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

wizzleme wrote:

> When Direct boot is selected I get "no boot manager or boot mgr
> missing" press CAltDel to reboot.
>

wizzleme,

Are you booting the SRP or the Win7 partition?

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=411
wizzleme

Post by wizzleme »

Sorry for late reply. My net access is sporadic (landlord did not pay the isp bill) these days.

marshedmitten, reread my post. I am limiting the primaries.

Brian, I am booting from the bootitbm that gives the option of direct boot which I assume is the windows boot code.

I tried creating a boot profile under boot edit, but nothing I could do under that resulted in any difference. Still getting no boot manager error message.

Never had that problem with the old bootitng, but that was under XP

OP question remains unanswered. The link you gave seems to give reasons for this after you have modified the win7 boot partition which I have not done other than installing bootitbm.

How do I correct the problem? Its not causing alot of pain since I can boot thru bootitbm but not direct boot.
wizzleme

Post by wizzleme »

Ok I reread the link. The problem is I bought this laptop used, I do not have the system repair disk or win7 install disks as the solution suggests in the link. I guess I can see if the partition is set to active, but before I installed bootitbm, it booted fine by itself, so why the change?
wizzleme

Post by wizzleme »

From the link Brian supplied:

"This may happen after making partition changes or after restoring the Windows partition.
Cause:
The files necessary to boot Windows were not found on the partition booted. These files include the bootmgr file and the \Boot folder (which contains the BCD file).
This can be the result of the wrong partition being set active or that the booting files do not exist on the partition."

How can this be true? If the partition was not marked active or the boot files were missing the machine would not have booted prior to bootitbm being installed. Maybe bootitbm deleted those files either at install or after the c:win7 boot partition was restored. (Bad bad bad) Now terabyteunlimited advises me I have to go through a long convoluted solution that requires the original win7 install disks to correct. (also bad bad bad). Give me a break.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

wizzleme,

Can you try this. Attempt to boot Win7 so you get the "BOOTMGR is missing" Error.
Boot BIBM and click Partition Work
Click View MBR
What are the Partition Names and sizes?
Which partition is marked Active?
mashedmitten

Post by mashedmitten »

Go into Boot Edit and see if there are multiple entries for that partition. If there are, look at the properties for each and find the one is linked to the correct partition. The bad ones won't have a Boot To entry. Try selecting the good entry and booting.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

if you using direct boot in unlimited mode, only a single partition is put
in the mbr, so that partition has to both be the os and boot partition.

otherwise, disable direct boot, use boot items to control with partition
your booting, and which partitions are in the MBR. Unlike XP, In many
cases W7 has two partitions, a boot and the os. So you set to boot the
small boot partition and also include the OS partition in the mbr.

"wizzleme" wrote in message news:13238@public.bootitbm...

Sorry for late reply. My net access is sporadic (landlord did not pay the
isp bill) these days.

marshedmitten, reread my post. I am limiting the primaries.

Brian, I am booting from the bootitbm that gives the option of direct boot
which I assume is the windows boot code.

I tried creating a boot profile under boot edit, but nothing I could do
under that resulted in any difference. Still getting no boot manager error
message.

Never had that problem with the old bootitng, but that was under XP

OP question remains unanswered. The link you gave seems to give reasons for
this after you have modified the win7 boot partition which I have not done
other than installing bootitbm.

How do I correct the problem? Its not causing alot of pain since I can boot
thru bootitbm but not direct boot.

wizzleme

Post by wizzleme »

I think the problem is I don't understand enough about booting and partitions.

I took a look at the mbr readout of both the bootitbm indirect boot menu item and the other one I created with boot edit-ie the one that failed under direct boot.

I THOUGHT the partition was booting from was MBR1, but I was WRONG. IT is booting from "system reserve" partition, as I recall is 100mb in size and a separate primary partition. This is the only partition that shows the MBR for windows. THe MBR1 which on older systems (as I recall) had the boot files for windows, now only shows data, not boot files.

When I edited the single (opening bootitbm) WIN7 boot entry to this partition I was able to select EITHER boot from bootitbm OR DIRECT boot. WHen I select now direct boot it brings up another window (from memory) asking which partition I want to boot from and I can now ""direct boot" to windows.

If this does not make sense, it's because I don't really understand fully what's going on here. Please explain it too me if you have time. I am guessing that the direct boot directly accesses the system reserve partition boot files whereas the indirect boot goes through the bootitbm EMBR? Seems to be working as designed now.