Ubuntu Swap File

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Logman

Ubuntu Swap File

Post by Logman »

Not sure if this is a BIBM problem or Ubuntu 16.04.1

When I installed Ubuntu I set up the 2 Partitions, one for the OS and the other for the Swap file, and the Ubuntu installation seemed to go fine.

It seems that I don't have a swap file according to Ubuntu, even though it did create the partition so I am wondering what could be the reason.

The partition is definitely there when I run PartInfo from Windows or check while in the Boot It partition work screen.

Not sure what to do as I don't think I should be changing it from within Ubuntu when I'm using Unlimited Primaries.
mashedmitten

Re: Ubuntu Swap File

Post by mashedmitten »

Is the swap partition included in the MBR for the disk via fill so it's visible?
Logman

Post by Logman »

Not sure what you mean by disk via fill ?

I'm looking at PartInfo while in Windoze, and in MPT ( EMBR ) View, there are 7 entries as follows :

0. BootIt EMBRM
1. MBR 0
2. MBR 1
3. MBR2
4. MBR3
5. Ubuntu
6. Swap

I did the install exactly according to the Terabyte knowledge base article, and the Ubuntu forum guys say it shows Ubuntu did install the swap file partition during the install but it doesn't show at all for some reason..
mashedmitten

Post by mashedmitten »

Open Boot Edit and open properties for the Ubuntu partition. Here, select the space below whatever pane the Ubuntu partition shows, select Fill to the right and select the swap file partition. This will make it visible to the OS.
Logman

Post by Logman »

Well Son of a Gun, that actually worked ! 8-)

How'd you figure that out, is it in the manual ?

Of course, when I mentioned BIBM at the Ubuntu forum, and my setup, they said it was "complicated" and nothing they said did anything except increase my knowledge of Terminal commands and take up 3 pages of my topic there. :)

I wonder if TeraByte should have had that in the installation article or if it was just a quirk with my system.

Anyway, thanks a lot for that, much appreciated
mashedmitten

Post by mashedmitten »

When I did Cheryl's computer, it only has one drive so the data partitions and OS are on the same disk. Had to use fill so the OS's could see them, had to do it for every boot entry. Think it goes for any disk with an EMBR. So technically, you could have different boot entries seeing different partitions.
mashedmitten

Post by mashedmitten »

I have two disks in a couple of systems. The first is for OS's and the second data. If I don't convert the data disk to EMBR, all OS's see the data parts.. If I convert the data disk to EMBR, I have to use Fill to allow them to show. Since the swap part is on an EMBR disk, Fill is needed.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

On Fri, 20 Jan 2017 12:17:26 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
mashedmitten disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>I have two disks in a couple of systems.

I have three internal ones and two external ones on my
main PC
--
Cheers,

DrT

"If you want to find out what is wrong
with democracy, spend five minutes with
the average voter." - Winston Churchill