Not Enough Sectors per track, Unable to install EMBR/EMBRL

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Logman

Not Enough Sectors per track, Unable to install EMBR/EMBRL

Post by Logman »

So I finally get around to try installing BIBM after months of sitting on it.

I deleted the 10 meg Primary partition that was being used by Boot-Us boot manager to handle XP, Vista and Win7 on separate partitions, all on HD0, made the BIBM boot CD, and proceeded to try and install BIBM's boot manager in that partition.

I can only get so far on installing it when I get the message "Not Enough Sectors per track, Unable to install EMBR/EMBRL"

I can't find any reference for it in the manual or here.

Should I just back up the 3 OS's with IFDv3, wipe the HD and start fresh or is there a simple fix ?
Brian K

Re: Not Enough Sectors per track, Unable to install EMBR/EMB

Post by Brian K »

Logman,

Do you have 10 MB of Free Space or a 10 MB partition? Free Space is preferable.
Logman

Post by Logman »

Brian K wrote:
> Logman,
>
> Do you have 10 MB of Free Space or a 10 MB partition? Free Space is
> preferable.

Thanks for the reply Brian, much appreciated.

I thought I'd deleted the partition when I uninstalled the Boot-Us program, which was only taking up 1 meg, the remaining 9 megs were free space, I could be wrong, guess I will have to try again and make sure the partition is deleted.

That would make sense if I hadn't deleted the 1 meg partition.

Biggest problem was I had to reinstall the whole HD from an image I'd made before trying BIBM ( thank goodness ! ) after the first try as my main Win 7 partition wouldn't load after.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

If you try this again, you should, I think, be able to use Partition Work on the BIBM CD or use Partition Work to delete the partition in the first place.
TeraByte Support

Re: Not Enough Sectors per track, Unable to install EMBR/EMBRL

Post by TeraByte Support »

it's the same as this:
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=486

"Logman" wrote in message news:12694@public.bootitbm...

I can only get so far on installing it when I get the message "Not Enough
Sectors per track, Unable to install EMBR/EMBRL"

Logman

Post by Logman »

So I first made sure the 10 meg partition was free space using BIBM's partition work on the install CD, then tried installing BIBM, same error, so I checked the BIBM's partiton after, and it looks like it has installed 5 megs for the Boot Manager, and 5 megs is free, but it won't boot.

So then I used the Boot-Us cd, and it says there's an error for the Win 7 Partition and won't boot it but I can boot the XP & Vista partitions.

I ran chkdsk/f on the Win 7 partition, and it says it fixed the errors but apparently not.

I did try Terrabyte's support article, but got stumped when it said to run BIBM from the installed program, not the CD, but that can't work because of the original install error I get.

I restored HD:0 again using the whole image I had made with IFWv3 and am now back to where I started again.

Not sure what to do other than to wipe the whole HD and try installing just BIBM and see what happens.
Logman

Post by Logman »

I finally seemed to have fixed my problem.

I completely wiped the whole HD, installed BIBM, then restored each OS from from the backups.

I have no idea why it wouldn't work before when the OS's were already in place.