Strange behaviour in BIBM during Windows Anniversary Update

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
barrow

Strange behaviour in BIBM during Windows Anniversary Update

Post by barrow »

Having forced the Windows Anniversary Update (from within a previous Windows 10 version, the 1511 one), during the installation process and in between the several provided reboots, at a certain point I was notified by BIBM that an extra partition had been created and that it should be convenient to check for its integrity...

Before proceeding with the update process, I checcked in BIBM settings and I saw that effectively a NEW Windows RE partition (not present with the previous installation) was listed in Partition Work, as also reported in several other forums/threads.

At any rate, I continued with the update installation that was positively finalized, reporting the Windows RE partition in Disk Management.

But, strangely enough, when checking the status/settings in BIBM, I noted that :

- The Windows RE partition is listed in Partition Work, named MBR Entry 1
- The same partition in not reported neither in the "MBR View", nor it is listed in the 4 slots of "MBR Details" of the Edit Boot Item.

Therefore, the first question coming in mind is : Will the Win RE work if the related partition is not provided in the Boot Item in BIBM? Should I include it in one slot of the Boot Item ?

Furthermore, while I well know that the Windows RE partition has been introduced in order to be able to recover from an old versions, as per BIBM (and looking its configuration), I think there's an inconsistency here ! or am I missing something ?

So, the last question is : Why the Win RE partition was not included by BIBM in one free slot of MBR Details ?

barrow
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Strange behaviour in BIBM during Windows Anniversary Upd

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

The WinRE partition needs to be available to Windows if you want it to function normally. You'd need to include it in the MBR Details for the boot item.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 15:27:33 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
TeraByte Support(PP) disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>The WinRE partition needs to be available to Windows if you want it to function normally. You'd need to include it in the MBR Details for the boot item.

It sounds as if the OP is using BIBM in unlimited primaries format.

Could not there have been corruption by Win 10 creating another
partition?

I am only clarifying as I hope to add Win 10 to my collection of
installed Windows OSs.

--
Cheers,

DrT

"If you want to find out what is wrong
with democracy, spend five minutes with
the average voter." - Winston Churchill
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

DrTeeth wrote:

> I am only clarifying as I hope to add Win 10 to my collection of
> installed Windows OSs.
>

DrT,

There is nothing complicated or different with a Win10 install. If you install Win10 into a single partition in the Boot Item you will finish with a Win10 partition that contains the Recovery Environment and that's fine.

It was the update from 1511 to 1604 that created the extra partition for barrow. Nothing unusual there. Win10 is resized 450 MB smaller and the partition created. No partitions are over-written.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

DrTeeth wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 15:27:33 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
> TeraByte Support(PP) disturbed my reverie and wrote:
>
> >The WinRE partition needs to be available to Windows if you want it to
> function normally. You'd need to include it in the MBR Details for the boot
> item.
>
> It sounds as if the OP is using BIBM in unlimited primaries format.

Why? All this could occur with limited primaries if there were previously less than 4 primaries (I think).

>
> Could not there have been corruption by Win 10 creating another
> partition?
>
> I am only clarifying as I hope to add Win 10 to my collection of
> installed Windows OSs.
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> DrT
>
> "If you want to find out what is wrong
> with democracy, spend five minutes with
> the average voter." - Winston Churchill
barrow

Post by barrow »

Brian K wrote:

> It was the update from 1511 to 1604 that created the extra partition for barrow.
> Nothing unusual there. Win10 is resized 450 MB smaller and the partition created.
> No partitions are over-written.

Exactly!!! This is what happened and that triggered my first post here

Out of interest, just as an exercise, I restarted the Windows 10 update again (as an update to the vers. 1511), but this time by filling the 3 remaining slots in MBR with temporary/dummy primary partitions.
In this case no additional Windows RE partition was created but, as expected all the Windows recovery functionalities were completely missing.

At any rate, for all my tests I used unlimited primaries.

barrow