BIBM installation destroyed info on one USB hard drive

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Bob Coleman

Re: BIBM installation destroyed info on one USB hard drive

Post by Bob Coleman »

I think there are (at least) two things being discussed here.

I can't comment on disks not being seen by BIBM, but the comment "... I am not sure how to add a non-bootable partition to the boot menu" relates to what Brian was trying to address and seems to indicate a belief that only bootable disks should be in boot items. My experience, at least with disks with unlimited primaries, is that ALL partitions to be seen by any instance of Windows must be in the boot item for that instance of Windows.

This may be completely irrelevant for disks other than those with unlimited primaries (I don't know), but regarding those disks, when you edit a boot item you, you should see on the right under "MBR Details" four slots for each HD. The bootable partition, if properly defined on the left, should already be present, I think. Any other partition you want seen by the bootable Windows needs to be added into one of the available slots. Click the empty slot, click Fill and select whatever partition you want seen by Windows.

Having said all that, it's probably not relevant if BIBM can't even see the partition/disk in question.
mjnelson99

Post by mjnelson99 »

It could. I had to look by size.

After BIBM would not allow me to change to MBR, I deleted the D and did
an undelete in BIBM. Then it came back as MBR and now works and looks
complete. I was able to change the MBR on the USB drive and it worked
w/o any more steps needed except a reboot.

I could not get either of the 2 partitions to add to the boot menu. It
always said something like it was not bootable (?). Maybe I had
incomplete steps.

I am probably going back to 4 partitions.
Mary

On 8/25/2016 2:56 PM, Bob Coleman wrote:
> I think there are (at least) two things being discussed here.
>
> I can't comment on disks not being seen by BIBM, but the comment "... I am not sure how to add a non-bootable partition to the boot menu" relates to what Brian was trying to address and seems to indicate a belief that only bootable disks should be in boot items. My experience, at least with disks with unlimited primaries, is that ALL partitions to be seen by any instance of Windows must be in the boot item for that instance of Windows.
>
> This may be completely irrelevant for disks other than those with unlimited primaries (I don't know), but regarding those disks, when you edit a boot item you, you should see on the right under "MBR Details" four slots for each HD. The bootable partition, if properly defined on the left, should already be present, I think. Any other partition you want seen by the bootable Windows needs to be added into one of the available slots. Click the empty slot, click Fill and select whatever partition you want seen by Windows.
>
> Having said all that, it's probably not relevant if BIBM can't even see the partition/disk in question.
>
>
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

It only changes it if you choose to change it via the "change disk" button
or if you restored an image of something that has an embr (and you restore
entire drive, not partition, or it asks to create one because you already
had 4 primaries and adding another) or it's a BIOS drive and you
install/reinstall and have it create embr on all drives (or it needed that
drive for installation).

"MJNelson" wrote in message news:12325@public.bootitbm...

This morning it changed the D partition and a different USB drive to
EMBR. I DID NOT change it myself and neither were EMBR this morning on
bootup.

I went in looking for some info and actually made no known changes. Next
thing I know both are unavailable in Windows.

I managed to get the Toshiba drive accessible again and it looks like it
is complete.

When I look at D it does not have an active link to Change MBR and IT IS
now EMBR.

Since I am not sure how to add a non-bootable partition to the boot
menu, would love to just get D back where it was.

Will try again AFTER imaging my Windows partition.
Mary

Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

I confirmed what I thought, but wasn't sure, yesterday. None of the stuff I wrote about editing boot items is relevant with primary partitions limited to 4.

I've never had any problems with unlimited primaries, but I've never had any USB disks.